Dead falcon sparks spying fears on Pak-India border

Status
Not open for further replies.

haviZsultan

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
JAIPUR: Indian security forces have found a dead falcon fitted with a small camera which has sparked alarm near the country’s highly militarised border with Pakistan, an official said Monday.

The carcass was discovered near the ancient fort city of Jaisalmer in the far west of the desert state of Rajasthan where the Indian armed forces regularly conduct drills and war games.

“It was fitted with some device and an antenna,” a senior Border Security Force officer stationed in the state told AFP by telephone on condition of anonymity.

Members of the Border Security Force (BSF) inspect the site where a dead falcon fitted with a small camera was found. PHOTO: AFP

Suspicions were initially that the bird might have been used for military spying, but the camera did not appear very sophisticated and it might instead have been the work of Pakistani hunters, the official said.

“However, the possibility of it being an espionage attempt from Pakistan cannot be ruled out at this stage,” he said, adding that an investigation was being carried out.

Other cross-border animal cases

This is not the first case of such cross-border animal intrigue.

2011 saw the capture of a cross-border trespasser – a monkey, found wandering in Cholistan, all the way from India. As soon as the monkey entered the Cholistan area of Bahawalpur district, locals tried to capture it but failed as the monkey dodged past them. Local residents then informed the wildlife officials, who after some struggle, managed to capture the strayed monkey.

In 2010, Indian police held a pigeon under armed guard after it was caught on an “alleged spying mission” for Pakistan.

The bird was found by a local resident in India’s Punjab state, which borders Pakistan, and was taken to a police station 40 kilometres from the capital Amritsar.

Local officers in Punjab state, which lies to the north of Rajasthan, said the white bird had a ring around its foot and a Pakistani phone number and address stamped on its body in red ink.

i think there r already 2-3 threads running on the same topic, @nuclearpak plz merge them...:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well when I posted about pigeons used for spy purposes by Soviets, few posters thought it as a joke. Its a cheap and effective solution.

Well when I posted about pigeons used for spy purposes by Soviets, few posters thought it as a joke. Its a cheap and effective solution.

They still think its a joke....:omghaha:

i think there r already 2-3 threads running on the same topic, @nuclearpak plz merge them...:)

i dont think the pigeon these guys caught was a spy lol
it was probably a pet thats why it had a number and address stamped on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can a falcon fly with this kit dangling to his side?

dead-falcon-india-afp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom