What's new

Completed Arjun Mark 2 At The Republic Day Parade

India's Arjun Mk.II Debuts At Republic Day 2014

VIJY9268-783822.JPG

The Arjun Mk.II main battle tank made its debut at India's 65th Republic Day Parade today. Incorporating over seventy improvements over the Arjun Mk.I, the improved variant is in a final phase (hopefully) of user trials, according to the DRDO. In a statement put out yesterday, the DRDO stated, "Arjun Mark II incorporates enhanced firepower with Automated Target Tracking and greater variety of ammunition including Gun-fired anti-tank missile and the devastating Thermobaric ammunition; enhanced protection that include Explosive Reactive Armor, Laser Warning come Countermeasure System, a Mine Plough, a Remotely operable Anti-Aircraft weapon, a Roof mounted driving seat; Advanced Land Navigation System and Enhanced night vision capabilities."

Livefist: India's Arjun Mk.II Debuts At Republic Day 2014

What's the news on the main armament? Rifled or Smooth Bore?

The time difference between the development of MK I and MK II is good. Hopefully we can replicate the same amount of success in other areas of development.

I always say Defense system development is evolutionary process. First step is always tough and tedious. Trust me All other weapon system will see same pace, Be it Rudra , LCA MK-II ...

What's the news on the main armament? Rifled or Smooth Bore?

It was never smoothBore. Through Rifled bore it can fire all kind of ammo, including missiles..

It was never smoothBore. Through Rifled bore it can fire all kind of ammo, including missiles..

I knew that the Mk.I was Smooth-bore but I read somewhere on the forum that among the changes being implemented was a shift towards a rifled main gun.

What the hell..?!
Commander's panaromic sight is totally exposed..!! Anything (starting from HE rounds to small arm's fire) can destroy it..
its not production variant still a prototype Lot of changes will done before going full production

I knew that the Mk.I was Smooth-bore but I read somewhere on the forum that among the changes being implemented was a shift towards a rifled main gun.

No Sir, Since long time turrent was rifled. It was never smoothbore.

From wiki "Armed with a 120 mm rifled gun, the Arjun is believed to be capable of firing APFSDS (Kinetic Energy) rounds, HE, HEAT, High Explosive Squash Head (HESH) rounds at the rate of 6-8 rounds per minute and the Israeli developed semi-active laser guidedLAHAT missile."

but its still too heavy maybe DRDO should now do something to reduce the weight most easy solution is to put Arjun MK2 turret on ugraded T90 chassis with 1400 HP engine and a israeli belt type Auto loader maybe that will bring down weight at least by 5-6 tonnes and will also increase its leathallity as it will increase the ammount of ammo and feul in the tank :)

Says who?
when your Alkhalid was ready and our mk1 was not Pakistanis opened a lot of threads about it.....
But the time has changed now.....:agree:
arey stop behaving like little childrens

Is it just me or the side-profile has a dose of Merkava Mk-4 in it?

The angle at which the add-on armor tiles are arranged on the side creates a shape which seems to echo the
blast-deflection features used on Merkava Mk-4's sides. This is unlike what is seen on T-90's new versions.

for the people who're confusing the alwacs with some form of a radar, its an ir countermeasure system.

they could have done better with the config/placement of the alwacs, it kills any hope for symmetry. track skirts and gun manlet armor would have added some oomph.

Is it just me or the side-profile has a dose of Merkava Mk-4 in it?

The angle at which the add-on armor tiles are arranged on the side creates a shape which seems to echo the
blast-deflection features used on Merkava Mk-4's sides. This is unlike what is seen on T-90's new versions.
The Israelis were helping us in the modification and improvement of MK-I, so I presume they gave us few tips on the designs.

The Israelis were helping us in the modification and improvement of MK-I, so I presume they gave us few tips on the designs.

Yep, exactly what I was thinking. Arjun Mk-2 is even closer to Western tank designs rather than Russian philosophy.

Back
Top Bottom