What's new

Chinese military team visiting India to boost ties

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
fullstory

Chinese military team visiting to boost ties

New Delhi, Dec 1 (PTI) In the backdrop of India expressing worry over China's military aid to Pakistan, a Chinese Army delegation will be in India for five days beginning tomorrow to explore opportunities to take forward the defence ties.

Defence Ministry officials said today that the Chinese delegation, led by People's Liberation Army (PLA) deputy chief General Gezen-feng, will hold talks with Defence Minister A K Antony and Defence Secretary Pradeep Kumar on the scope for bolstering the bilateral confidence building measures.

The delegation will also call on Army chief General Deepak Kapoor, Navy Chief Admiral Nirmal Verma, IAF chief Air Chief Marshal P V Naik and Army vice chief Gen P C Bhardwaj during their stay in Delhi.

The visit, which comes in the wake of reports of Chinese Army nibbling in Indian territory all along the Line of Actual Control, will end on December 6.

I wonder why they would send a general on a Good will Mission

What ever it is, let there be an end peacefully

Peace will exist, dont worry about that. Both nations are friendly enough to not try attack the other.

But what kind of peace. is the Question.

Although i dont want to believe it, sending the Chinese General is more like a power play than a good will mission. For what its worth i hope i am wrong.

Although i dont want to believe it, sending the Chinese General is more like a power play than a good will mission. For what its worth i hope i am wrong.

Hey Gogbot can you be more specific please....What do you mean by power play??

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

The Chinese want to know what they would be up against.

chinese and indians will be two big brothers...in south asia...both of know that none of them would survive LEST their economy developing at a higher pace !!

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

The Chinese want to know what they would be up against.

China has no interest in Confronting India. They feel any war will cost to much.
Strategically they want to be responsible neighbors and work together on Global issues like climate change.

Tactically they want to be able to 1 up India in everything.

China has no interest in Partnering with India.
But they still Are responsible neighbors. But are just out for their own interests(which is very justified.).

what about chinese selling some JF's to india....:)

but people its amazing that these countries have a trade volume of $59bn.......:)

China has no interest in Confronting India. They feel any war will cost to much.
Strategically they want to be responsible neighbors and work together on Global issues like climate change.

But they still Are responsible neighbors. But are just out for their own interests(which is very justified.).

You keep hoping that!

China knows exactly what game is being playing between India and the West. ;)

Its between India and China other countries people should not get Heartburn.

Agreed

I am not sure about that....What do you mean by interest in partnering India??? Are you referring to being an ally??? Thne YES...Otherwise we have a trade of whopping $53 Billion with them which is increasing every year by many folds...This is surely an engagement..In fact China is the biggest trading partner of India when it comes to percentage of total trade...However the bonhomie is not full-fledge

- Because of the obvious border issues and strategic allingments(we closer to US...their suport for Pak)
- Above all same aspirations which may lead them to future conflit of interests....

Especially because of the above mentioned reasons it is very important for the south asian giants to engage more and more with each other...Something that leaders from both sides are saying - There is enough room for growth of both and its imperative for peaceful co-existence and respect for each other complemented with more and more engagements....As far as trends goes so far both countries have behaved very maturely which can be stated by the fact that our borders have been very peaceful even though the conflict is 5 decades old and we still managed to engage in trade on such a massive scale....
Agreed

China-India trade to cross $100 b mark in 3 years

Diplomatic relations notwithstanding, bilateral trade between India and China is growing more than 50% year-on-year and is slated to cross the $100-billion mark in three years, report agencies.

Much of the growth is due to initiatives being taken by small and medium enterprises on either side of the border.

A publication, Business opportunities for Indian SMEs in China, says the SMEs are now looking at Chinese firms more as potential buyers and partners rather than competitors.

The study was carried out by the Federation of Indian Micro and Small & Medium Enterprises (FISME) and commissioned under project, Strategies and preparedness for trade and globalisation in India, by the department of commerce, Unctad India and DFID.

The study has identified maximum potential in textiles and apparel, leather, chemicals and dyes and marine and tea/coffee sectors, and points out that opportunities lie more in specific product categories or niches than across sectors.

For example, in leather alone, China imports goods worth $4 billion, much greater than entire exports from India to the rest of the world. Ironically, China so far has not been on the radar of Indian leather exporters.

Similarly, in inorganic chemicals, China’s imports are at $6.3 billion compared to India’s exports to China at just $316 million.

The study notes that while trade in India and China is individually growing at 20-25% a year, the growth rate of trade between the two countries is growing at a scorching pace, at double the rate of 50% a year.

The study provides certain insights such as in sectors like engineering and electronics, the potential of mutualism and collaboration is enormous.

A large number of Chinese SMEs with excellent manufacturing facilities historically relied on Hong Kong-based traders for exports.

Many Chinese SMEs do not have exposure to direct exports and suffer language handicaps. However, Indian companies could tie up with such Chinese SMEs, supplement them with their Indian operations and export to third countries.

Examples such as Mahindra & Mahindra in small tractors underline the potential opportunity where Chinese and Indian operations have complimented each other to win the US market.

China-India trade to cross $100 b mark in 3 years

Hey Gogbot can you be more specific please....What do you mean by power play??

well if you want specifics you have to ask the Chinese.
But i can speculate/outline what i think would happen.

High ranking Chinese general shows up assures India of its commitment to peace.

Talk about the Issues with his Indian counterparts.

Engages in Dialogue about Building Military ties.

Talks about China PLA's Objectives and Views, Which will undoubtedly conflict with India's

Talks about recent developments China has made on its side, letting India know China still has the Upper hand.

He leaves with letting India know that the PLA is very much active and Capable.

I mean this is an general Idea of what the talk will be like.

They could have sent anyone from the government but they sent a PLA general instead.

I mean how would it look if the US sent its General to Di-fuse tensions, with say Russia.

I mean remeber when A US admiral visited China, A Chinese Admiral said to US admiral.

"Keep Your Fleet near your side of the Pacific and the Atlantic. But leave the rest us"

A similar statement may be made by The Chinese general

The Chines statements are as subtle as Sin.
You know when they make them but its not big enough for you to make reaction.

Don't get me wrong the Chines wan peace, But they also dont want anyone getting in the way of their Ambitions.

But hey, i am trying to be positive, and hoping The General was sent to India to assure it that The PLA are not interested in stirring trouble.
Talk about more cooperation. Try to avoid each others Patrols along the disputed LAC.
Talk about a few Military exercises, and so on.

100b is peanuts for a 4-5 trillion dollar economy and certainly not a factor where national security interests are involved.

It's always interesting to figure out what the Chinese are up to...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom