What's new

China wants SAARC plus One arrangement (SAARC+1)

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score

China, continuing its relentless push for a larger footprint in South Asia, has quietly approached some South Asian nations for an annual summit with it modelled loosely as a 'Saarc Plus One' fixture, diplomatic sources said.

'China wants an annual summit with our eight members on the lines of its Asean Plus One arrangement,' a senior diplomat from one of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation's (Saarc) smaller states told the Straits Times. 'It is a move that annoys India and most of us are just sitting quiet because we do not want to upset New Delhi.'

Saarc groups Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, the Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The group is holding its 17th summit this week in Addu, a Maldivian atoll south of the Equator.

While Saarc is host to a fifth of the world's population, it is dominated by India, which has a population of 1.1 billion people and a trillion dollar economy.

China's relentless push into South Asia through annual summit

I think India should approve this idea, because if SAARC countries go for a vote majority of SAARC countries will vote in favor for China.

If India truly wants to bring SAARC into an operational level from the talk show level, currently SAARC just a talk show.

SAARC+1 also include China, Japan, South Korea & Australia.

In all reality - Not happening.

But why would China want to join SAARC..even India is not enthused about it in any way.

Infact no org having India and Pak can function properly..

yeah why not!!!!! we must also include antartica also....

The UNSC seems to be just the same as before, after both India and Pakistan joined.

And names are just names.

India is in fact a part of the "EAS" -> East Asia Summit.

In all reality - Not happening.

But why would China want to join SAARC..even India is not enthused about it in any way.

I think India should not be negative regarding china in SAARC.

If nothing else, China's presence in SAARC would moderate India Pak positions.

also, considering the current thawing of relations between Indo-Pak maybe a good reason to bring China in the Group.

Forget SAARC, India will not allow China in.

China should somehow get Pakistan into SCO.

In my opinion, if China wants some real results, this is the only way forward.

LOL, how can China be in the same organizations with a country (India) which she has territorial disputes with?

Pakistan should leave SAARC, because SAARC is USELESS.

SAARC-logo.png

lol why would China want to join a useless organization.(well not completely useless many times it has served as the meeting point for Pakistani and Indian leadership)

Forget SAARC, India will not allow China in.

China should somehow get Pakistan into SCO.

In my opinion, if China wants some real results, this is the only way forward.

LOL, how can China be in the same organizations with a country (India) which she has territorial disputes with?

Pakistan should leave SAARC, because SAARC is USELESS.

Yes Yes. Pakistan should leave SAARC, a useless organisation; and rest of south asia alone and join SCO; After all most Pakistanis relate themselves to Central Asia rather than South Asia. :pakistan:

I agree...If Pakistan wish it should leave south asia....and if really pakistan wish for China...then India should push for USA and Japan too...what is wrong with it...These are 2 economic power of the world too...

China is a South Asian country.

the question is why China still NOT IN SAARC yet? I just don't get it. Nobody look at the map? Even Afganistan is a South Asian nation now.

Plus if we want to make SAARC viable in economic sense or have a voice in world stage, China's attending is a must.

India Adj.: Jealous Overtake Intelligent

Result: Bring down all futures of the region

China is a South Asian country.
It is every thing for you now..
China can be welcomed as it is a big player and once it get started with its trade then our south asian friends will came to know what exactly the point India was making for not including China in SAARC..
Apart from defence purpose i don't thing china had to do anything with SAARC,they just want to get access to indian ocean for trade and military purpose..

Back
Top Bottom