What's new

China, Russia support India's UNSC bid

Not really, China was the founder of UN, hence automatically became the permanent member of UNSC.

That is right, the "country" of China was always represented on the UNSC, since it was one of the founding members.

China was first represented there by the RoC, and then later suceeded by the PRC. Both claimed to represent China, though now the UN considers the PRC as the sole representative of China.

That is right, the "country" of China was always represented on the UNSC, since it was one of the founding members.

China was first represented there by the RoC, and then later suceeded by the PRC. Both claimed to represent China, though now the UN considers the PRC as the sole representative of China.

Didn't India support when the representative of China changed from ROC to PRC

Didn't India support when the representative of China changed from ROC to PRC

Might have done.

It was inevitable though. The RoC could not continue to the the representative of "all China", since they didn't actually control it.

Apparently, China does not have any problems with India's UNSC bid. China has problems with Japan's UNSC bid.

yes, you can say that again...
i felt that Japan is using Brazil, India and Germany. Japanese know China will reject without hesitation if Japan go alone.
so they want to group with Brazil, India and Germany to give pressure to China.

I don't understand why India gives such importance to this UNSC seat. I see the UNSC seat as less of an advantage and more of a responsibility and headache. Just imagine the dilemma of the Indian representative in the UNSC when it comes to issues like voting on Libya and Iran emargoes.
The UN needs reformation to be relevant in this age and this reformation will be meaningless without a country like India in top echelon of UN.
India being in UNSC is its right and not some charity that world is offering it. UNSC reformation without Indian in it, will be a big sham and it will only discredit the organisation furthers, and everyone know its.
If UNSC seat is seen as a prestige issue, then we need to earn respect than demand it. This respect we are earning slowly, but surely with our development and rock solid democratic institutions and defence & technological capabilities.
I feel, India should not put too much energy & efforts into this issue, but sit back and relax and watch the fun.

That's off course, very true.

yes, you can say that again...
i felt that Japan is using Brazil, India and Germany. Japanese know China will reject without hesitation if Japan go alone.
so they want to group with Brazil, India and Germany to give pressure to China.

even so the government is under greater pressure from its own people to veto any moves that would see japan as a permanent member

Back
Top Bottom