What's new

China complete world's highest-resolution 3D map of moon

grey boy 2

Reaction score
Country
China
China completes the world's highest-resolution 3D map of moon

September 30, 2009 Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments (0) | Forum Increases the bookmarktwitter facebook
digg Google
Windowslive Delicious
buzz friendfeed
Linkedin diigo
reddit stumbleupon
Chinese experts Monday announced that the country's space scientists had completed the world's highest-resolution three-dimensional map of the moon.

The map, covering the whole surface of the moon, was made based on image data obtained by a charge-coupled device (CCD) stereo camera carried by the Chang'e-1, China's first lunar probe. The map's spatial resolution -- measured by the distance of two features within an image that can be clearly defined -- is 500 meters.

Liu Xianlin, head of the expert team that made the accreditation, said the map could greatly help study the features, laws and creation of the moon's surface and deepen understanding of lunar geology and its evolution.

"It would also pave the way for setting scientific objectives in future lunar probe projects," said Liu, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Surveying and Mapping.

The Chang'e-1 lunar probe was launched in October 2007.

Source:Xinhua

Will the data obtained be shared with other nations ?

The map, covering the whole surface of the moon, was made based on image data obtained by a charge-coupled device (CCD) stereo camera carried by the Chang'e-1, China's first lunar probe. The map's spatial resolution -- measured by the distance of two features within an image that can be clearly defined -- is 500 meters.

Wasn't Chandrayan-1's 3D stereo moon mapper cameras resolution 5 meters?

So ? Whats your point, my Beijing resident ?

Like to show me India complete world's highest-resolution 3D map

instead ? :smitten::pakistan::china:

So ? Whats your point, my Beijing resident ?

Like to show me India complete world's highest-resolution 3D map

instead ? :smitten::pakistan::china:

I'm not making any point my USA friend. I'm just making an observation.
Its up to you to use your intelligence, knowledge and discretion to reach any conclusion.

This is indeed good news. :toast_sign:

For a long time moon has been neglected by us on Earth.

More such studies need to be done.

i think it was about 80m, anyways the chinese are saying the 3d mapping of the entire moon is the clearest i dont think they meant the resolution is best just that its the best resolution that mapped the entire moon

September 30, 2009 Email | Print | Subscribe | Comments (0) | Forum Increases the bookmarktwitter facebook
digg Google
Windowslive Delicious
buzz friendfeed
Linkedin diigo
reddit stumbleupon
Chinese experts Monday announced that the country's space scientists had completed the world's highest-resolution three-dimensional map of the moon.

Liu Xianlin, head of the expert team that made the accreditation, said the map could greatly help study the features, laws and creation of the moon's surface and deepen understanding of lunar geology and its evolution.

"It would also pave the way for setting scientific objectives in future lunar probe projects," said Liu, an academician of the Chinese Academy of Surveying and Mapping.

The Chang'e-1 lunar probe was launched in October 2007.

Source:Xinhua

After a so long time Asia again getting high pitch on Since and Technology.:tup:

i think it was about 80m, anyways the chinese are saying the 3d mapping of the entire moon is the clearest i dont think they meant the resolution is best just that its the best resolution that mapped the entire moon

Terrain Mapping Camera on Chandrayan-1
TMC or the Terrain Mapping Camera is a CCD camera with 5 m resolution and a 40 km swath in the panchromatic band and was used to produce a high-resolution map of the Moon. The aim of this instrument was to completely map the topography of the Moon. The camera works in the visible region of the electromagnetic spectrum and captures black and white stereo images. When used in conjunction with data from Lunar Laser Ranging Instrument (LLRI), it can help in better understanding of the lunar gravitational field as well. TMC was built by the ISRO's Space Applications Centre (SAC) at Ahmedabad. The TMC was successfully tested on 29 October 2008 through a set of commands issued from ISTRAC.

Images from Chandrayaan TMC

Scientific Objective

The aim of TMC is to map topography in both near and far side of the Moon and prepare a 3-dimensional atlas with high spatial and altitude resolution. Such high resolution mapping of complete lunar surface will help us to understand the evolution process and allow detailed study of regions of scientific interests. The digital elevation model available from TMC along with the Lunar Laser Ranging Instrument (LLRI) on Chandrayaan-1 will also improve the Moon gravity model
Terrain Mapping stereo Camera ( TMC - ISRO )
2129319328cca9e51a184887f7d14b43.jpg

As far as i know chandrayaan's camera was highest resolution compared to what Nasa has sended upto date. Let alone china's camera. How come china's camera's resolution better then ISRO? i heard isro said our camera's mapping moon 100 KM above compared to Nasa 500 KM above moon. i think china claiming 3D FULL moon map and not Highest-resolution. Better correct the thread headline. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom