What's new

China apologises to Nigeria over fake drugs

manojb

Reaction score
Country
India
China has formally apologised to Nigeria for alleged export of fake drugs including some labelled as 'Made in India' by some Chinese firms to the country and assured to take punitive action against those involved in the scandal.

In June, Nigeria's National Agency for food and drug Administration and Control (NAFDFAC) said it had detected a large consignment of anti-malaria drugs from China, which had been labelled 'Made in India', being sold in the country.

Following the seizure of fake drugs, the director-general of NAFDFAC, Paul Orhii subsequently travelled to India where he got assurance that drugs and other products moving out of the country would be thoroughly checked.

"It was an unfortunate incident, but it has opened up a lot of opportunities in fight against counterfeits, with the Indian government involved as it has interests in the issue," the Orhii said.

"The packaging was very sophisticated and on its physical scrutiny, it looked genuine. But after laboratory analysis we found there were no active ingredients. If it had remained undetected, it could have created resistant strains of malaria," NAFDAC chief added.

India and China are the most prominent suppliers of drug to Nigeria, he said

China has formally apologised to Nigeria for alleged export of fake drugs including some labelled as 'Made in India' by some Chinese firms to the country and assured to take punitive action against those involved in the scandal.

In June, Nigeria's National Agency for food and drug Administration and Control (NAFDFAC) said it had detected a large consignment of anti-malaria drugs from China, which had been labelled 'Made in India', being sold in the country.

Following the seizure of fake drugs, the director-general of NAFDFAC, Paul Orhii subsequently travelled to India where he got assurance that drugs and other products moving out of the country would be thoroughly checked.

"It was an unfortunate incident, but it has opened up a lot of opportunities in fight against counterfeits, with the Indian government involved as it has interests in the issue," the Orhii said.

"The packaging was very sophisticated and on its physical scrutiny, it looked genuine. But after laboratory analysis we found there were no active ingredients. If it had remained undetected, it could have created resistant strains of malaria," NAFDAC chief added.

India and China are the most prominent suppliers of drug to Nigeria, he said

Sir great news that atlast they accepted one of most cruelest thing they have done. Sir did nigerians consumed those fake china made drugs? And is there any number of casulties? i hope and wish no one consumed it. Two days ago i went mall to buy perfume for gf. Guess what i seen newyork chypre perfume made in new york. Some guy told me its from china and not orginal. Fake chinese stuffs all over the world now. Cant find out its fake until we buy it. Even when am ill i go to top chemist store where nothing fake available as it goes through checks every now and then. To be honest am scared of china now specially when they decided to fake drugs too. Atleast china apologised. i hope they wont shift there fake drugs in other country. Atleast not inside india's name.

I wonder what the Chinese have to say about this.....
A slap in the face is what I will call it.

I wonder what the Chinese have to say about this.....
A slap in the face is what I will call it.

We have a huge economy and a lot of companies so we are not able to monitor everything. India has Reliance and Tata so of course it is easier to monitor... bump:china:

We have a huge economy and a lot of companies so we are not able to monitor everything. India has Reliance and Tata so of course it is easier to monitor... bump

Did that make sense to any one....So what you are saying is that, China is incompetent of monitoring its huge economy?

Do you think Tata and reliance are the only companies in India?
Dude... is it your poor english or your arrogance or your foolishness.?

Did that make sense to any one....So what you are saying is that, China is incompetent of monitoring its huge economy?

Do you think Tata and reliance are the only companies in India?
Dude... is it your poor english or your arrogance or your foolishness.?

It is my arrogance, but mostly your naivety (I forgive you for that "poor english" comment where you don't even capitalize the E word. Oh and just to add, you can't even spell "anyone").

If you think that the government can monitor every company in a country as big as China, then you must be more communist than our Chairman Mao ever dreamed to become.

Tata is 2.8% of the GDP of India.
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Tata - integral part of Indian life

Reliance is 3.5% of the GDP of India.
major corporate houses in india, major corporates, big corporate houses

The Indian economy is controlled by a few families so it is much easier to monitor. I rest my case.

Last edited:
It is my arrogance, but mostly your naivety (I forgive you for that "poor english" comment where you don't even capitalize the E word. Oh and just to add, you can't even spell "anyone").

If you think that the government can monitor every company in a country as big as China, then you must be more communist than our Chairman Mao ever dreamed to become.

Tata is 2.8% of the GDP of India.
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Tata - integral part of Indian life

Reliance is 3.5% of the GDP of India.
major corporate houses in india, major corporates, big corporate houses

The Indian economy is controlled by a few families so it is much easier to monitor. I rest my case.

And Infosys, Birla, Wipro, SBI, BPCL, HPCL etc are small companies with negligible impact........ right....????

There are about 700,000 registered companies within India as of 2006

And Infosys, Birla, Wipro, SBI, BPCL, HPCL etc are small companies with negligible impact........ right....????

There are about 700,000 registered companies within India as of 2006

China has over 4.3 million registered small/medium companies in 2007. It is much more difficult to monitor.

On Reliance:
* 5 per cent of India's total exports
* 10 per cent of the Government of India's indirect tax revenues
* 30 per cent of the total profits of the private sector in India
* 10 per cent of the profits of the entire corporate sector in India
* 7 per cent of the total market capitalisation in India
* Weightage of 15 per cent in the BSE Sensex
* Weightage of 12 per cent in the Nifty Index
One out of every four investors in India is a Reliance shareholder.

Comparing to this, yes, other Indian companies are negligible.

The point is that India's economy is much more concentrated in the hands of few than that of China. It is easier to monitor.

China has over 4.3 million registered small/medium companies in 2007. It is much more difficult to monitor.

On Reliance:
* 5 per cent of India's total exports
* 10 per cent of the Government of India's indirect tax revenues
* 30 per cent of the total profits of the private sector in India
* 10 per cent of the profits of the entire corporate sector in India
* 7 per cent of the total market capitalisation in India
* Weightage of 15 per cent in the BSE Sensex
* Weightage of 12 per cent in the Nifty Index
One out of every four investors in India is a Reliance shareholder.

Comparing to this, yes, other Indian companies are negligible.

The point is that India's economy is much more concentrated in the hands of few than that of China. It is easier to monitor.

So your inability to monitor gives you right to infuse fake drugs within international market....It is your incompetency that you do not have control over your companies.

So better strategy would be shut the shop and bring these companies in control instead of maligning China and apology afterward.

So your inability to monitor gives you right to infuse fake drugs within international market....It is your incompetency that you do not have control over your companies.

No I personally don't have the right to infuse fake drugs, and neither does anybody, duh. The monitoring work is outside the government abilities and a better system is needed, but blaming China as a country for this kind of things is very stupid.

Amazing how threads get derailed.

The topic is on an apology made by China on selling fake drugs labelled wrongly ( which I think is commendable - or simply economics ?).. and it gets deflected to contributions of companies towards the GDP.

So better strategy would be shut the shop and bring these companies in control instead of maligning China and apology afterward.

R.A.W.; This will be the third or forth time , thread about fake drugs

from China which label made in India.

believe me, it will get really ugly. China apologized and move on.

If you don't believe me, just simply go to times of India and seach

for fake drugs of India. you will understand what i mean.:cheers:

:pakistan::china:

you got the apology from some companies,move on,india deserved worse than this for splitting tibet and stealing other country's territory,this is military forum

R.A.W.; This will be the third or forth time , thread about fake drugs

from China which label made in India.

believe me, it will get really ugly. China apologized and move on.

If you don't believe me, just simply go to times of India and seach

for fake drugs of India. you will understand what i mean.:cheers:

:pakistan::china:

Accepted and I also accept that China cannot be blamed for some companies but when you as a company do something you take the image of a nation with you. If you stand within India... and some one questions you "who are you?" then the obvious answer would be "I am Chinese" and your actions would mark the image of China..... So in media things get messed up with Chinese companies to China.

Back
Top Bottom