What's new

Child

contender

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
COMMONWEALTH GAMES 2010: Child labourers pictured working on construction sites | Mail Online 29th September 2010

After Delhi's disgrace, the shame: Child labourers pictured working on construction sites in frantic effort to get Commonwealth Games stadiums ready.

CNN find dozens of incidents involving children of seven and younger

India was yesterday building its chaotic Commonwealth Games venues with the toil and sweat of the country's children.
Distressing pictures show children apparently as young as seven carrying hods and buckets as part of the Delhi's desperate bid to complete construction ahead of the opening ceremony a week tomorrow.
The images, released by CNN, drew criticism from Save The Children. 'We are concerned about reports of young children working on construction sites,' said the charity.

article-0-0B55F2FA000005DC-121_634x452.jpg

Carrying the can: A naked child walks with a pail as Commonwealth Games labourers look on at a site in Delhi discovered by CNN

article-0-0B55F2CE000005DC-271_634x453.jpg

Hard at work! A child quite clearly helping in the construction at the side of a road in Delhi outside the Indira Gandhi Stadium in one of dozens of instances catalogued by CNN

The Games have attracted media attention to the issue of child labour, but we must not allow this issue to be forgotten after the momentary media glare subsides.'
It is an indication that the organisers - who have been criticised for the late-running of almost every aspect of the Games - are desperate to save the project from being cancelled as the first athletes, including the English party, arrived in Delhi.
Trafficking expert Siddharth Kara, a Harvard fellow, told CNN: 'I reliably documented in just a few days 32 cases of forced labour and 14 cases of child labour.
'Children were working, picking up hammers, banging stones, paving entry ways and planting grass along the roads to beautify them, hours and hours at a time.

article-0-0B55F260000005DC-842_634x469.jpg

Barefoot: A child risks injury in the middle of a site in Connaught Place, one of the main thoroughfares for Games traffic, as contractors furiously try to finish pavements before next week's opening ceremony

article-0-0B55F20F000005DC-690_634x469.jpg

Shocking site: Another barefoot young child is photographed by CNN performing chores with older workers

'I documented children aged seven, eight, nine, ten years old working alongside their families in this mad rush to get the construction completed.'
The images, taken by Harvard fellow Mr Kara and released by CNN, drew criticism from Save The Children. 'We are concerned about reports of young children working on construction sites,' said the charity.

Kara undertook a independent research trip around South Asia looking at issues of forced labor, trafficking and child bondage. Kara has written several novels on the issue and is acting as an independent academic on this particular trip.

He also outlined the harsh conditions these children were forced to work under:
'The conditions are sub-human and that's really the only word I can apply. They live in the dirt, they go to the toilet behind bushes and trees which is why they found human excrement in the athletes village a few days ago.

'The children, especially the young ones, don't have a sense of what's going on. They're told to do the work and they just do the work. They don't know that they should be in school or that they should be playing.'

article-1314976-0B55F5AE000005DC-108_634x430.jpg

Taken for granted: This family of labourers told CNN they had moved to Delhi before the Games but had not been paid for two monthss

Guys, my speculation is that those children may not necessarily are “working”. Their poor parents just don’t have means to put the kids in daycare or other safe places, and therefore allow the kids to simply “stay” with them: these kids are just “playing” around.

It is nonetheless very dangerous. And the corrupted authorities must take actions.

Beware of some snobbish British reporters who tend to gleefully over-stretching the situation.

Guys, my speculation is that those children may not necessarily are “working”. Their poor parents just don’t have means to put the kids in daycare or other safe places, and therefore allow the kids to simply “stay” with them: these kids are just “playing” around.

It is nonetheless very dangerous. And the corrupted authorities must take actions.

Beware of some snobbish British reporters who tend to gleefully over-stretching the situation.

On the contrary, the British reporters seem to be impartial and brave to expose what is happening behind the curtain.

Why does not their govt which spends billions and does dirty diplomacy to contain and split China care about those helpless children? Even if those children are not working, they are still on the working site....

Instead of developing China specific nuclear missiles, that country should feed its own people.

Going to have to agree with you mate, but come on isn't this a disgrace to the upcoming or rising super-power? this is humilating and I hope every indian feels the same way I do, who would do this? only a bunch of animals would not see child labour as disgusting, irrelavant and saddening.

Do something about IT! it is not normal.

Going to have to agree with you mate, but come on isn't this a disgrace to the upcoming or rising super-power? this is humilating and I hope every indian feels the same way I do, who would do this? only a bunch of animals would not see child labour as disgusting, irrelavant and saddening.

Do something about IT! it is not normal.

The photos are graphic. As if those people are experiencing famine...

Is this their capital city?

The photos are graphic. As if those people are experiencing famine...

Is this their capital city?
Well I hope they do something about it!
child labour is really getting on my nerves, kids don't deserve such cruelty, who is the culprit?
the goverment? I want to know, this country deserves to be in shame, upcoming super-power my b o llo cks!
if you think this is offensive, well it is meant to be, releasing some empathy for those innocent souls.

Well I hope they do something about it!
child labour is really getting on my nerves, kids don't deserve such cruelty, who is the culprit?
the goverment? I want to know, this country deserves to be in shame, upcoming super-power my b o llo cks!

Of course the regime, the military establishment, for which these people are deprived and such social crimes as child labor is common.

And I used to say 'India will be a outstanding super-power' well good luck India but there never going to be as good as china.

Thanks to the media revolution, truth is coming out slowly.

You won't see such random social crimes like child labor in any Chinese township, let alone cities and the capital. Such social crimes are utterly disgraceful... a grave threat to humanity....

And I used to say 'India will be a outstanding super-power' well good luck India but there never going to be as good as china.

And you said exactly what the Chinese troll wanted you to say. You warmed the cockles of his trollish heart. India has a lot to improve upon, but in cases like worker rights and sheer brutality, India has nothing to learn from China. Yes, we can learn a thing or two about infrastructure and flawless project execution from them, but not in this field.

I won't take this kind of patronizing **** from Chinese posters.Their country is MUCH worse in such aspects. I have images of human slavery in China, beggars and slums in China, torture by Chinese police, all with good reliable links.

Last edited:
Thanks to the media revolution, truth is coming out slowly.

You won't see such random social crimes like child labor in any Chinese township, let alone cities and the capital. Such social crimes are utterly disgraceful... a grave threat to humanity....

Oh, rly?

If you do not stop your trolling and patronising bullshit immediately, I will show the guys here the real face of China. Things like this:

20041118chinapoverty.jpg

By bangalorean at 2010-08-08

There is much more, and much worse where that came from. Keep that in mind before proceeding.

Oh, rly?

If you do not stop your trolling and patronising bullshit immediately, I will show the guys here the real face of China. Things like this:

20041118chinapoverty.jpg

By bangalorean at 2010-08-08

There is much more, and much worse where that came from. Keep that in mind before proceeding.

We know its a fake photo.

Believe me, there are dedicated innumerable sites on india's child labor. If you want me to regularly update this thread, stop posting fake off topic pics.

We know its a fake photo.

Believe me, there are dedicated innumerable sites on india's child labor. If you want me to regularly update this thread, stop posting fake off topic pics.

You started the patronizing crap. And it is not a fake photo. Even I can claim that the photos you posted are fake. I did not post the link because I'm too lazy to go and retrieve it. I have lots of photos with links ready of course...

So it is best if you leave it at this. There are enough Indians here to give you a hard time if you persist in your nonsense comments.

Back
Top Bottom