What's new

Chhattisgarh district loses 6000 girls a year

trinity

Reaction score
JASHPUR ( Chhattisgarh): It's a cold, windy morning in Thuthiamba village in the interiors of Jashpur district and Basanti, 20, is clutching her one-year-old son close to her chest for both warmth and comfort. She is ravaged by the thought that the child will grow up never knowing who the father was.

Basanti was just 12 when she was taken to New Delhi for domestic work by a woman from a nearby village. Six years later, she returned home five months pregnant after being repeatedly raped by men in the household where she worked.

There are thousands of girls like Basanti in Jashpur, which has emerged as a major hotspot for trafficking of minor girls and women as domestic help to different parts of the country, especially Delhi and Mumbai. Most of these girls end up being physically abused and sexually exploited. A few end up fighting AIDS.

During the just concluded winter session of the assembly, Nanki Ram Kanwar, the state home minister, said more than 6000 young girls and women were reported missing so far in the past one year from Jashpur and neighbouring districts alone. Officials at the state department of women and child development, however, put the figure at more than double - at about 13,000 girls. A survey conducted by State Resource Centre, Adult and Continuing Education in 2009 said there were about 20,000 girls who were trafficked to other states in the past 7-8 years.

The numbers are mind numbing; the stories of these girls more so. Basanti, for instance, says that she was forced to have sex with three different men in the house where she worked. "I resisted many times and tried to complain to the owner but nobody listened to me." The trauma that many of these girls undergo even result in some of them losing their mental balance. Mamta Kujur of Jashpur Jan Vikas Sansthan cites the example of a 20-year-old girl from Sitonga village who was sold to five men when she was not even 15. She was kept closed in a small, dark room and was raped, tortured, forced to eat leftovers almost every day. When she protested, she was made to eat human excreta. After being assaulted for more than a year, when she succeeded in absconding from the place and reached her hometown, she was abused by her father for not bringing any money and for leaving the job. She became mentally unstable soon after.

At the centre of this trafficking business is a network of agents who operate with impunity. Most of them are handed over to placement agencies who in turn place them as domestic helps. Some of them are even sent to Saudi Arabia, UK and Libya to be sold to aged men for marriage or to produce a male child.

Since the girls or their family members hardly ever come forward to complain, the traffickers are rarely apprehended, say sources. Not surprising then that data received from SP, Jashpur, talks of only 30 reported cases. The figures collected from Police Headquarters, Raipur, reveal that only 40 such cases were reported this year while 105 cases were reported since 2008.

The police are also quick to brush aside claims of sexual exploitation of the girls. Manish Sharma, SP, Jashpur, says that "reports of 'migrated' girls being sexually exploited or returning HIV positive are hard to believe.

But wherever a TOI team went, it only heard stories of brutality and betrayal.

While the police are in denial, local organizations like Janshpur Jan Vikas Sansthan and Jeevan Jharna Vikas Sanstha are working in association with UNICEF to spread awareness on the issue. They are also involved in rescuing the trafficked girls and counseling them. They say their work will show results only if the administration helps them in their effort. "At the end of the day only they have the power and resources to save hundreds of innocent girls like Basanti," an NGO activist says.

(Names have been changed to protect identity)

Times View

That the people guilty of trafficking these tribal girls must be brought to book is obvious. Tough action against such unscrupulous elements, however, is only a small part of the solution to the problem. If we really are outraged by what has happened, we must demand that the root cause of the problem be dealt with. Six and a half decades after Independence, is it not a shame that India's tribal-dominated areas remain as backward and bereft of development as they are? Governments, whether in the Centre or the states, need to do much more to develop these areas economically. When tribal girls get enough opportunity for gainful employment locally, they will be less prone to the allurements of criminal elements out to dupe them with promises of a good job in the city.

Chhattisgarh district loses 6000 girls a year - The Times of India

Find it hard to believe UK, Libya, Saudi Arabia doesnt catch this girl trafficking in India :(

Unfortunately the South Asian mentality regarding women as equal to men will take some time evolving. As useless as offering prayers are, one can only pray that this much needed evolution in thought and behavior doesn't take it's own sweet time in materializing.

And we wonder why the Naxalites have been fighting for decades? That Delhi rape should have carried some momentum but it didn;t. So many rapes have been reported afterwards and nothing done about it. No statements or such, I guess since it didn;t occur in Delhi. Seriously, sending our women to far flung places to be tortured and raped. Nothing makes my blood boil with anger. It makes me want to to start beheading these MFer;s. Yet, our govt wants to be lax. Let me expain something to you all, be easy on rape then expect your wives, sisters, and daughters to suffer the same faith. Chemical castration will not do ****. It only lasts as long as you take the meds and there have been incidents where it has not been effective.

Stop blaming others or giving excuses. Accept responsibility and act fast. I heard of a case yrs back where an African Dictator came in a private jet and picked up 2 young girls. He took them back to his country and raped them, never to be heard again. At least other countries care for their own, it seems we don;t even care. Just look at the recent beheadings of our soldiers. We don;t care. Truly sad.......I hope the Maoists strike terror and fear in each and every one of you bastards who don;t voice your opinion and sit on your *** all day. You are not worthy of life. You are worse than the rapists for your inabiity to get justice. The cops don;t even look into these cases coz they are paid off for their ignorance. Wake the fuk up ppl!

Find it hard to believe UK, Libya, Saudi Arabia doesnt catch this girl trafficking in India :(

It is sad bro, If it is happening in India you can bet its happening in Pakistan. Im sure the same networks are being used.

Unfortunately the South Asian mentality regarding women as equal to men will take some time evolving. As useless as offering prayers are, one can only pray that this much needed evolution in thought and behavior doesn't take it's own sweet time in materializing.

It can change but we need effective goverance not this Bullshit for the past 50 yrs. How can enforce capital punishment when our polticans are criminals and wont; allow for it coz their lives will be in danger?

Human trafficking is a cancer. I read a news report sometime back about similar fate of Bangladeshi girls in Mumbai who are lured by better life and jobs. Most of them are from poor rural background and dreams of better future pull them out of their villages to unforgiving cities where they invariably end up getting exploited.
I also had an opportunity, while doing a photo essay, to visit some areas of Jharkhand and Chattisgarh and its heart wrenching to see plight of tribal people in these areas. It doesn't take much time to understand why naxalism is so rampant in the areas. The people are still looking for elusive progress in the region.
Slightly offtopic, but when you hear news of Jharkhand govt and previous CMs (Koda etc) involved in scams, one can only wonder why these people, who beneath their feet have the richest natural resources in country are still living in such deplorable conditions.

These kinda incidents cannot take place without the help of police.
Police forces in some states in the north are just more corrupt

Rape has in many cases little to do with libido and sexual desire, it's more about dominance on another person plus a weak self-confidence of the perpetrator. At least that's the case in most European countries.

What I can't explain is why there are so many reported gang-rape cases coming out of India. Here in Germany, most rape cases are one-on-one rapes. Has there been studies done on the mental state of gang-rapists?

I just found this very interesting article. There is also a good way to deal with this kind of crimes that India should think about.

http://voices.yahoo.com/gang-rape-psychological-perspective-group-dynamics-97868.html

This is modern day slavery, playing out in India.

Yes it is but don;t be so quick to judge. **** like this goes on the US buddy.

Götterdämmerung;3812457 said:
Rape has in many cases little to do with libido and sexual desire, it's more about dominance on another person plus a weak self-confidence of the perpetrator. At least that's the case in most European countries.

What I can't explain is why there are so many reported gang-rape cases coming out of India. Here in Germany, most rape cases are one-on-one rapes. Has there been studies done on the mental state of gang-rapists?

I just found this very interesting article. There is also a good way to deal with this kind of crimes that India should think about.

http://voices.yahoo.com/gang-rape-psychological-perspective-group-dynamics-97868.html

I think the international meda is bringing more light to an issue that is rarely heard thru the domestic media due to women rights groups playing a bigger role. Its great coz ppl like me feel there is a great need to protect women. Hell, I hope these bastards get death.

Do all these happen in India or Bharat........................

Don't be an ignorant idiot. Where does it happen in US today?

Like it doesn't happen in the US or your beloved China...they are worse there

Idiot spouting ignorant rant. No it doesn't happen in US nor China, but it happens in your beloved India.

It does in all countries I would say. Thing is, India is not prosecuting any of these people.

Well maybe if India's government prosecuted the scumbags abusing women, things like that wouldn't happen.

India is not ready to be called a ``developed country`` yet when women are treated this badly.

Back
Top Bottom