What's new

Bullet Raja: A temple where devotees worship a motorcycle with ‘supernatural powers’

Patriots

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
_74608392_om-banna1.png

The motorcycle is now kept in a glass case at the roadside shrine​

People are visiting a roadside shrine in north-western India to pray to a motorbike called Bullet Raja, which is believed to protect drivers, it seems.

Devotees come to the Royal Enfield Bullet motorcycle in the Rajasthan village of Bandayi to pray for a safe journey,News18 Rajasthanreports. "I have come to this place many times," one worshipper says. "Whenever I cross this temple I get down to take blessing from Om Banna to have a safe journey ahead."

In 1988, a young man called Om Banna was reportedly killed when his 350cc motorcycle hit a tree. Locals say the bike kept returning to the scene of the accident by itself, even after a police officer took it to India's northern state of Punjab. Some people believe the motorcycle possesses supernatural powers - one man told News18 the spirit of Om Banna gave him 20,000 rupees (£200).

The motorcycle is on display in a glass box, decorated with flower garlands. People also pray at the tree where the fatal accident happened. One UK-based traveller has even set up aTripadvisor pagefor the shrine, noting it was a lucky spot for his party - they found a camera lost earlier on the trip.

Roadside shrines are not unusual in India, but they are sometimes blamed by authorities for causing traffic bottlenecks. In 2009, India's Supreme Court halted the building of religious sites on public land, but it did not affect existing roadside holy places. One such shrine, built in the middle of the road, was a communal flashpoint,The Times of India reported at the time.

BBC News - India: Devotees pray for motorcycle 'blessings'

bike-6.jpg

bike-21.jpg

bike-4.jpg

bike-5.jpg

bike-3.jpg

bike-8.jpg

People here even worship the tree, under which the bike had collapsed, and tie knots making
wishes.
bike-7.jpg

The Enfield Bullet now is caged in a glass box with its front open and decorated.​

Poor Indians ........

It's 2014 and people are still worshiping whatever random things they see

F*ck religion

Well.... its a great machine but literally worshipping it is ridiculous....

Royal Enfield- Bajaj - Hero Honda If you do not submit to the Trinity you are a mlecccha.

Another Interesting

A Cambridge soldier who died during the Indian mutiny is being worshipped as a ‘saint’ and his grave has become a shrine where pilgrims offer up beer and cigarettes.

Captain Frederick Wale died during the uprising of 1857 in Lucknow, India. The fallen soldier’s grave is now a shrine and locals have started worshipping him hoping he will answer their prayers.

The officer was the eighth son of General Charles Wale and the family comes from Little Shelford and his memorial stone is in All Saints Church where most of his family members are buried.

But now the officer has become a ‘saint’ – despite his love of alcohol and cigarettes.

Worshippers pray to him to help with marital, business problems, diseases and offer beer, cigarettes and bidis made of unprocessed tobacco wrapped in leaves, according to villagers.

They say India is a country of several shrines but that Captain Wale’s stands out, not just because of the offering devotees present to him, but the fact is he was not a ‘saint’.

Wale’s tomb fame has travelled far and wide, with devotees from nearby towns pouring in with packs of cigarettes and liquor bottles in hand.

Shri Pal, caretaker of the grave, said: “It is said that offering a cigarette or bidi with pious mind can lead to fulfilment of the wishes. The belief is that, alcohol and cigarettes were liked by him.”

Narendra Yadav, who has been following the ritual every Thursday when most ‘devotees’ pour in, said: “Baba listens to us, I was going through financial crisis, and I visited the place a couple of times with cigarettes and beer as offerings. My business is flourishing now.”

Kaptan Shah Baba, as he was known to his 1st Sikh Lancers, was killed aged 36 at a battle with nationalists in Lucknow in 1858.

Captain Wale took command of the 1st Sikh irregular cavalry and he served in the siege and capture of Lucknow.

His brigadier reported: “Wale showed great zeal in command and led most successfully in pursuit of the enemy until he was shot.”

Read more: Cambridge soldier made a 'saint' in India as pilgrims offer beer and cigarettes at his shrine | Cambridge City News, Cambridge Local News Stories & Latest Headlines | Cambridge News

But anyway - Pakistanis are not behind in this field as well

Back
Top Bottom