What's new

Breaking News: Bipartisan panel constituted to nominate caretaker PM

genmirajborgza786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Canada
ISLAMABAD: An eight-member bipartisan committee has been formed to nominate a consensus candidate for the position of caretaker prime minister. A notification was issued in this regard by the National Assembly Secretariat.

The members include Sardar Mahtab Abbasi, Sardar Yaqoob Nasir, Pervez Rasheed, Saad Rafiq, Chaudhry Shujaat, Farooq Naek, Khurshid Shah and Ghulam Bilour.

The committee has the mandate to nominate a candidate for the position of caretaker prime minister within three days’ time.

Under the constitution, the parliamentary committee has to nominate a consensus candidate for the post of caretaker prime minister within three days and if it fails to do so in the stipulated time, the matter will automatically go to the Election Commission, which will have to finalise one name out of four, two each from PPP and PML-N.

The development followed a meeting of leaders of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), chaired by Prime Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf, which ended with the party unwilling to compromise on the names of its nominees for caretaker prime minister.

Sources told DawnNews that the party has decided to take the matter to the stage of the eight-member committee.

The PPP had initially proposed the names of Dr Abdul Hafeez Sheikh, Dr Ishrat Husain, and Justice (retd) Mir Hazar Khan Khoso for the position of caretaker PM. Moreover, the Pakistan Muslim League – Nawaz had proposed the names of Justice (retd) Nasir Aslam Zahid, Justice (retd) Shakirullah Jan and Rasul Bakhsh Palijo.

All four names from the opposition’s side of the committee are of PML-N members. However, constitutional experts have said PML-N has to give equal representation to all opposition parties in the committee so its members do not become controversial.

Bipartisan panel constituted to nominate caretaker PM | Pakistan | DAWN.COM

Saad Rafique is an outstanding option... why the heck is railway thug Ghualm Bilour there? Don't tell me he's becoming the CT PM.

Saad Rafique is an outstanding option... why the heck is railway thug Ghualm Bilour there? Don't tell me he's becoming the CT PM.

no, these are member of the committee. not suggested CT PM names :D

these panel members will suggest four names for CT PM.

ultimately the decision will be taken by ECP, this committee has 4 members from govt and 4 from opposition hence voting will result in nothing

ultimately the decision will be taken by ECP, this committee has 4 members from govt and 4 from opposition hence voting will result in nothing

you are right..

I think neither ppp nor pmln wants to take the burden on their shoulders for CT PM.

you are right..

I think neither ppp nor pmln wants to take the burden on their shoulders for CT PM.

you have already seen the names given by ppp, no one is going to agree on that and ppp is not going to agree on the names of Pmln

Back
Top Bottom