What's new

Bangladesh third most power-starved country

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Bangladesh third most power-starved country - bdnews24.com

Bangladesh ranks third among the top 20 countries where people lack access to electricity, according to a report of a World Bank-led multi-agency team.

The report titled ‘Global Tracking Framework Report’ published on Tuesday said until 2010, 66.6 million people, or 45 percent of the country’s population, were out of electricity.

However, Bangladesh government statistics say 60 percent of its population was brought under electricity coverage by the end of 2012, against 43 percent in 2009.

The government claims power generation increased to 8,525 megawatts last year from 4,941 megawatts four years earlier.

It says in the four years, electricity connections were given to 2.84 million new subscribers.
The report, first of its kind, said India is on the top of the list of power-starved countries with about 306.2 million of its people remaining out of electricity. Nigeria ranks second in the countries with its 82.4 million people lacking access to power.

According to the report, the number of Bangladeshi people under electricity coverage rose by 22 percentage points to 55 percent in two decades – from 1990 to 2010. It said only 43 percent of the rural inhabitants and 88 percent of the urban people were brought under electricity coverage until 2010.

The report showed in last 20 years, electrification rates were highest in 20 most populous countries, including 12 in Asia. Of the 1.7 billion people having access to power globally in these two decades, around 1.3 billion came from the 20 countries.

It said electricity coverage increased greatly in India, China, Indonesia, Pakistan and Bangladesh during that period.

The report said 80 percent of the people lacking power access live in rural areas.

energy_consumption.jpg

306 million people without electricity in India. Which states are the culprits of this crime?

elictircity access is one thing. actually getting is another.
eg in pak, all cities are connected to power grid. but someone needs to generate enough power.
india iss making progress on electrification. eg gujarat has 100% access. TN has almost 100% access.

306 million people without electricity in India. Which states are the culprits of this crime?

UP , Bihar, orissa , assam

elictircity access is one thing. actually getting is another.
eg in pak, all cities are connected to power grid. but someone needs to generate enough power.
india iss making progress on electrification. eg gujarat has 100% access. TN has almost 100% access.

UP , Bihar, orissa , assam

mam, please change your word from orissa/oriya to odisha/odia. those bloody english peoples given some ridiculous name to my state and places inside odisha. it was already changed from orissa/oriya to odisha/odia officially from 5th nov 2011. so, i hope you will correct yourself and hope other people will do so.

mam, please change your word from orissa/oriya to odisha/odia. those bloody english peoples given some ridiculous name to my state and places inside odisha. it was already changed from orissa/oriya to odisha/odia officially from 5th nov 2011. so, i hope you will correct yourself and hope other people will do so.

ok i bhill call it odisha - but you hab to say you learnt english alphabet as follows...
A for Orange
B for Bhegetable

arre , just joking yaar. you didnt say anything wrong..
it just that when you grow up learning things in a certain way its difficult to change. eg. bombay/mumbai..
i cant think of called w bengal as paschim banga

yaa i know but we have to change it.:tup:

^^ When would the Northerners learn to address my state as Keralam or Kerala instead of Keral.

good to see another odia here. i always thought i am the only one.

No one is. Its basically people in the villages of UP and Bihar. Hardly anyone has a legal connection, they all have "Khuddan" system. Basically illegal connection, so they don't register on these stats.

No one is. Its basically people in the villages of UP and Bihar. Hardly anyone has a legal connection, they all have "Khuddan" system. Basically illegal connection, so they don't register on these stats.

This type of free loading caused Pakistan its Power Sector which is now in a deep abyss.

Mate.. Is'nt Oriya the language of the region or is that also been anglicised from Odisha??

Back
Top Bottom