What's new

Bangladesh, India to start work on Feni bridge

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score

Tripura,Diplomacy,Business/Economy, Sat, 05 May 2012 IANS

Agartala, May 5 (IANS) India and Bangladesh will start work next week to build a bridge over river Feni in Tripura for access to Bangladesh's Chittagong sea port to ferry goods and heavy machinery for northeast India, a minister said here Saturday.

"Engineers of India and Bangladesh will carry out field level technical surveys from May 10 before starting the actual work," Tripura Commerce and Industries Minister Jitendra Chaudhury told reporters.

He said: "If the central government rejects the Tripura government's proposal to give the required Rs.40 crore to construct the bridge, the state government would bear the cost.

"For the bridge to be at par with international standards, the centre has the scope to provide funds," he added.

The proposed bridge would connect southern Tripura's border town Sabroom, 135 km south of Agartala, with the Bangladeshi border town Ramgarh, 300 km northeast of Dhaka.

Bangladesh has agreed to allow India to use the Chittagong, Mongla and Ashuganj ports.

The Chittagong port is the principal seaport of Bangladesh handling about 92 percent of the country's imports and exports.

The minister said the 200-metre bridge would be the trading lifeline not only for northeast India but also South Asian countries.

The Northeast Frontier Railway (NFR) has started work to extend its railway network up to the border town of Sabroom. This is expected to be completed by 2014.

On an average, the distance between important cities of Bangladesh and northeast India is 20-200 km.

India's northeastern states are surrounded by Bangladesh, Myanmar, Bhutan and China. The only land route access to these states from within India is through Assam.

But this route passes through hilly terrain with steep roads and multiple hairpin bends.

Agartala is 1,650 km from Kolkata and 2,637 km from New Delhi via Shillong and Guwahati. But the distance between Agartala and Kolkata via Bangladesh is just about 350 km.

....Shocking, I was born in Feni.. Why this BAL **** & SH do not die..

....Shocking, I was born in Feni.. Why this BAL **** & SH do not die..

Bro, what is wrong in co-ordination with other coutries...We got so many co-ordination projects with China, we ready to go with INDIA...I'm sorrry though it is your internal issue...just my sincere conceren :)

It is how we trying hard to go out of war-like situation and solve problem with negotiaton by seeing our troubles....(MAY ALLAH help every one...)

But as long as one's sovergnity (like our leaders co-operating for others war...though ALL nation was in agreement to go for a Jehad when it was non-muslim occupied our bros but for other part PAkistan is still worried from where multitudes of problem to come..should it go ISOLATED....what to do?)...

I am all for road interconnection and more business and trade, there is nothing wrong with it. Where I object is political interference and being a vassal state.

You are getting a bridge in Feni.

"
India and Bangladesh will start work next week to build a bridge over river Feni in Tripura for access to Bangladesh's Chittagong sea port to ferry goods and heavy machinery for northeast India, a minister said here Saturday.

"

The bridge is in Tripura, India, not in BD.

"
India and Bangladesh will start work next week to build a bridge over river Feni in Tripura for access to Bangladesh's Chittagong sea port to ferry goods and heavy machinery for northeast India, a minister said here Saturday.

"

the bridge is on the border not fully inside Tripura.

"

"

Feni river forms the border between India-BD at Sabroom-Ramgarh. So the bridge is both in India and Bangladesh. Why else do you think they d involve BDeshi engineers in the project and why would India need clearance from Bangladesh:what:.

zumtcw.png

I am sure AL made sure that the engineers are also card carrying AL rank n file.

Bro, what is wrong in co-ordination with other coutries...We got so many co-ordination projects with China, we ready to go with INDIA...I'm sorrry though it is your internal issue...just my sincere conceren :)

It is how we trying hard to go out of war-like situation and solve problem with negotiaton by seeing our troubles....(MAY ALLAH help every one...)

But as long as one's sovergnity (like our leaders co-operating for others war...though ALL nation was in agreement to go for a Jehad when it was non-muslim occupied our bros but for other part PAkistan is still worried from where multitudes of problem to come..should it go ISOLATED....what to do?)...

You are right in some concern. The problem is mass people of Bangladesh is skeptical of indian intention. They simply can't believe in india. And of course its not our fault...

Economic isolation is not good for anyone. More trade (fair trade, not neo-liberal free trade) means more prosperity and with prosperity comes the opportunity to educate and inform, which also means the way to liberate people from servitude of being the citizen of a vassal state.

This bridge is for the fart off corridor which Bangladesh don't need. Another achievement of awami indian dalals.

You have to stay sometime in Bangladesh and then realize why a civilian who doesn't have any concern with politics has to fight for living is scared of any relations with our big friend :bounce: . I can write some cause here and longer debate might run over that but the true realization will come through only passing a sheer amount of time here.

Just try to understand from this example. Once one of my friends was in outing to north Bangla frontier city maybe Thakurgaon or ChapainababGanj. While they were having tea and discussing about walking frontier land inside Bangladesh, they were told by local people that they can't visit even land inside our land (not talking of no man's land). bsf beasts can do anything anytime and BDR personnel there say that after a specific part inside Bangladesh they'll not take responsibility of our people because after that part anytime bsf can shoot a Bangladeshi (who is still in Bangladesh). Same thing I watched some day ago on TV (RTV or Boishakhi). It was a report on 283 km long frontier zone of Lalmonirhat district where people can't visit near border area inside our land let alone no man's land. People stopped cultivating their land whereas indian ppl are cultivating even no man's land (don't think BDR guys are scared, it's our bent down national leaders' bulls$it policy).

So, what you think, shouldn't a Bangladeshi simply think thousand times before going for any further relations with india :flame::flame:?

I am all for road interconnection and more business and trade, there is nothing wrong with it. Where I object is political interference and being a vassal state.

Relation with them has only one meaning that is being a vassal state :no::no:.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom