What's new

Bangladesh bans 'Banglish' to protect local tongue

Is AISD the Australian International School Dhaka...??? Anyway I know about those school as one of my cousin's daughter used to study there till my cousin decided to settle down in UK and my another cousin's son is still studing at AISD. As far as I knew tuition is around 60000 taka per month at AISD and for ISD it is 10 lakh per year. Definitely those who have a big chunk of money can afford to study there. One of my bhabi was also worked at the admin of ISD. So, I heard a lot about these 2 school. May be once upon a time I used to like a girl from ISD but she got married recently ...:S.

Anyway I also knows some of them through my friends though not directly. But most of the English medium girls and boys tend to speak like that way and have some attitude which is not good. Yes the percentage is small but due to influence of media and seeing some of them many boys n girls from middle class are now trying to become like them and obviously thanks to facebook. It is just like disease. Just like seeing different bridal pages in facebook now every girls are demanding the same from their parents without considering to what extent it will create pressure on their parents. Its following like the same manner he/she is doing it and now I will also have to do the same.

no bro, aisd is american international school dhaka, you need clearance from american embassy to get into that. Whats the girl's name? i might know her, gulshan cummunity is very small.

What syed naved is spreading is pure propaganda, in bangladesh rich are very much hated by the poor and thus they spill out propaganda
when you dont even know me how can you say ,this !! are you insane !! well,u can say this propaganda as you are sitting and lying on bed @ canada .
Strange to know that you are a supporter of zia ... b4 commenting 1st come to your homeland ,see the reality then does such comments.everyone knows what E.M is , E.M people dont get chance here so have to live country . They are just good for nothing but a burden of our society .for the safety of our ppls culture,bangla we have to stop banglish,we have to enclose All the E.M's as they are doing nothing but only spoiling our society

when you dont even know me how can you say ,this !! are you insane !! well,u can say this propaganda as you are sitting and lying on bed @ canada .
Strange to know that you are a supporter of zia ... b4 commenting 1st come to your homeland ,see the reality then does such comments.everyone knows what E.M is , E.M people dont get chance here so have to live country . They are just good for nothing but a burden of our society .for the safety of our ppls culture,bangla we have to stop banglish,we have to enclose All the E.M's as they are doing nothing but only spoiling our society

People has a right to speak what they want, it is part of democracy and civil liberty. I am very much against banglish myself, i never speak it myself and people that do piss me off. I only use full english or proper mohakhali bangla :P......

My family is based in dhaka i am only here to complete my education, i know how bangladesh is. You just can't make ignorant comments about english medium school kids. yes there are a few that act too hard to look 'kool', but they are a minority.....you can find kids from bangla medium school trying to copy english medium school......i know plenty of vikarunnesa school girls that call vikarunnesa; viks who has their hair colored red, blue.....u name it.....i havent met an english medium girl to have their hair colored funny....i would say bangla medium kids try too hard....then again they are a minority, just like english medium kids.

Hey I see Pakistani flag in your Background. Quite Astonishing, Are you a Bihari!!!!

Exactly, being fluent in some foreign language don't belittle your patriotism. The benefit of learning English is that its a global lingua franca and gives you more exposure to the World and if we want to be a part of this global village without forgetting our roots is no offence.

One day if one of the guys from you reach a milestone winning some prestigious prize like Nobel Prize or Booker's prize, same people like Syed Naved will declare you greatest son of the soil.
People who dont know what is 16th december and 26th mirch correctly is it possible for them.Was tagore from English medium ? i dont think so.yes ,english is a global lingua,we will use it officialy..everything ok.but what about china,Japan etc.ppl go there for higher studies and there they have to learn chinese/japanese ...Bangladesh=land of the bengals not land of the english/banglish.
one who dont know his/her mother tongue how would he/she know others tongue ??

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

Hey I see Pakistani flag in your Background. Quite Astonishing, Are you a Bihari!!!!
it's in pakistan,when i was there.and those 2 ppl are very close brother of mine,frnd

People who dont know what is 16th december and 26th mirch correctly is it possible for them.Was tagore from English medium ? i dont think so.yes ,english is a global lingua,we will use it officialy..everything ok.but what about china,Japan etc.ppl go there for higher studies and there they have to learn chinese/japanese ...Bangladesh=land of the bengals not land of the english/banglish.

---------- Post added at 05:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

it's in pakistan,when i was there.and those 2 ppl are very close brother of mine,frnd

i have never met anyone from an english medium school who does not know proper bangla, in fact they are highly patriotic, they become even more patriotic and follow bangla culture when they go abroad......and i have almost lived all my life in gulshan area and know half of the kids since everyone knows everyone somehow and the hangout places are not that many....english is an international language it is one of the official languages of the UN. banglish will never be the dominant language since it not officially written...just like banglish they have a hybrid hindi english, chinese english...in fact any country you will visit they will have kids that speak this language......they grow out of it once they grow older.....

We have lots of Chinese in India and when we ask them why you came to India. They say because we want to learn English and Software skills and in India we can learn that with affordable fees. So, Chinese too feel the importance of English.

And Tagore too translated his beautiful poems in English and world came to knew about his beautiful poems. Because it sounds hurting but English is a global Lingua Franca. I have German and Spanish colleagues and they too told me we know the importance of learning English. Now it depends upon you how much you are connected to your roots as well as leaning foreign languages.

In our place its called Manglish...Malayalam+English. Many of our words comes direct out of English..like bomb,road etc.

Studied at u of a but graduated on last fall n now looking for professional job. Gave some interview n lets see what happen next. But I really liked in Alberta as salary is highest among north America and getting salary 100K is quite common at the start specially in the oil and gas sector. After all Alberta is the oil province of Canada.

good luck bro...i am doing an intern at an investment banking firm, after my law school i plan to go to bangladesh and work with a top notch lawyer, also look into dad's business and later plan me to go into politics...bangladesh is the right place to make lots of money, it has a gdp growth of 6%, if you have the right connections, you have no idea how much you can make in that country. i worked marketing firm this summer in dhaka, i was amazed that what you can do there, its basically a virgin market to be exploited.

they become even more patriotic and follow bangla culture when they go abroad......and i have almost lived all my life in gulshan area and know half of the kids since everyone knows everyone somehow and the hangout places are not that many.
it's enough to prove that how patriotic e.m ppl's are. they become patriotic when they go abroad ,btw when they live here ,what culture do they follow ? is it american or is it english ? a person who has lived almost his life in gulshan in comfort is it possible for him to understand to whole nation,sorry to say impossible.
u guys just think vikis and govt lab= b.m so you'll say like this natural.
It is bangladesh so bangla only bangla medium ,versity,madrasa will be preserved.for english learning there is no necessity of
going to e.m . Its nothong but just a waste of money. what u say,we cant afford the expense of E.M but tell you something my family and many other rich family have this ability,but only some so called " elite " who are good for nothing send their child to e.m . ok then come to private versities like NSU etc, everyone knows that what culture and what type of study ppl learns there.there study means money not study. all kind of un-cultured,illegal work etc frequently being seen @ Scholastica,Mapple leaf,NSU ,Mastermind .... each and everybody of the nation knows that:smokin:

On the topic:- I dont know why but i felt good after reading the title. This is a very sickening trend among our youths, especially in Bangladesh. And what is more irritating is that, they think its "cool". I will be honest that even i tend to use english with bangla, as i dont know the proper bangla words for some stuffs.

But i always try to avoid it as much as possible. At uni, i always go by english...and at home and community, its always proper bangla that i speak. The concern, i think, is that people would be discouraged to speak our mother tongue...and on that verge they would speak, watch and follow more of western culture. This will take you down the drain one day.

This is very much noticed. That day in Barisal vs. Rajshahi game, when the anchor asked one of the girls in the crowd about which team is she supporting...she answered - " its very good you know and Gayle is my favorite player, so BPL is excellent "! :rolleyes:

That is where 24/7 concern about your "image" will lead you to.

Cheers!!!

it's enough to prove that how patriotic e.m ppl's are. they become patriotic when they go abroad ,btw when they live here ,what culture do they follow ? is it american or is it english ? a person who has lived almost his life in gulshan in comfort is it possible for him to understand to whole nation,sorry to say impossible.
u guys just think vikis and govt lab= b.m so you'll say like this natural.
It is bangladesh so bangla only bangla medium ,versity,madrasa will be preserved.for english learning there is no necessity of
going to e.m . Its nothong but just a waste of money. what u say,we cant afford the expense of E.M but tell you something my family and many other rich family have this ability,but only some so called " elite " who are good for nothing send their child to e.m . ok then come to private versities like NSU etc, everyone knows that what culture and what type of study ppl learns there.there study means money not study. all kind of un-cultured,illegal work etc frequently being seen @ Scholastica,Mapple leaf,NSU ,Mastermind .... each and everybody of the nation knows that:smokin:

bangladesh has only one good university which is dhaka university....nsu and others are garbage......most people that have good grades from top english medium schools go abroad to study, the ones which don't go to NSU. you are just generalizing.....i dont know what type of illegal activities you are talking about, please say so....i bet i can point out the same illegal activities in bangla medium schools.

We have lots of Chinese in India and when we ask them why you came to India. They say because we want to learn English and Software skills and in India we can learn that with affordable fees. So, Chinese too feel the importance of English.

And Tagore too translated his beautiful poems in English and world came to knew about his beautiful poems. Because it sounds hurting but English is a global Lingua Franca. I have German and Spanish colleagues and they too told me we know the importance of learning English. Now it depends upon you how much you are connected to your roots as well as leaning foreign languages.
well,i have never said that i have enmity with english but if one thinks he / she will learn foreing language at first he/she have to know their mother tongue.for xample if you dont know bengali much you can never understand hindi ,similarities between the two.if u want to understand arabic u have to learn malayalam first . without knowing mother tongue ,what you say is impossible.
yes tagore did translation ,but the bengali version is uncomparable,only for that many foreigners learn bengali that they can understad & take a fragrence & taste of real bangla literature

There is nothing wrong in learning foreign language or using it. But when you speak in English it has to be pure English. When you speak Hindi it has to be pure Hindi. Just imagine you speaking to a British in English mixed with Hindi!!!! There are some words which are already became part of Hindi, and there is no harm in using them. But using a complete english sentence in conversation is something really objectionable. Not only that some idiots I seen, changed the complete pronunciation of our Sanskrit word and pronounce like English. But when you ask them to speak in pure English they come up with a weired English, which you will find nowhere int he world except India.

Back
Top Bottom