What's new

Application of Pak Army's Soft Prong in FATA / Malakand and its Impact

Ching-Chong-Cheng
Abu, i didnt have a guud laugh for sometime. Thanks for allowing me one :D

So what is the "impact" of all these developments? Are these areas now more law abiding? Have they expelled out the extremist elements?

V Chung, you are again going against my advice and trying to find bone where it doesn't exist. Be warned, you are nearing the point where you would soon be left with something in your hand that would be highly undesirable!

@ Topic
First, you tell me what should have been the impact of these projects? What exactly are you looking forward too?

Having said that, if you had paid any heed to my post # 12, you would never had asked this question especially with reference to the blasts that took place in Sibi and Islamabad primarily when the TTP has denied their responsibility.

Now i dont consider the TTP to be truthful but then there is a footprint to any terrorist activity and the blasts that took place recently doesnt have TTP's footprint. Atleast that's what the investigation thus far says. Moreover, having dealt with BRA, BLA etc i also believe that these thugs lacks the capacity to execute coordinated attacks outside the remote areas of Balochistan, so yes there is a foreign element present behind the terror attack that took place in Islamabad.

Now i also understand that this explanation would go over your head as usual and you would come up with something else that would be equally redundant. In that case, please refer to the postscript of my signature.

Now coming over to your query regarding the 'impact' these projects had or should have had.

Like i had already mentioned in post 12, both the hard and soft prong go hand in hand when countering any insurgency. What do you think is the reason behind the competitively larger possibility of a FATAian falling prey to terrorist propaganda as compared to a mainland Pakistani?

Doesnt the reasons like lack of education, desperation, poor job opportunities, under development etc ring some bells?

Who is more likely to blow himself: an illiterate villager or an educated one? A guy who has a secured job or a jobless guy who cant feed his family? You know the answers to these questions, dont you?

The schools that have been reconstructed rather refurbished, the roads that have been made better etc have resulted into increased awareness and ownness among the residents of FATA.

Dont be surprised when Malala writes in her book that she is more worried about Swat than Pakistan or so to say, for her Swat is more important then the country it is part of. Same is the case with certain Balochis. That's natural, why because they have been 'away' from "Pakistan" for so long that for them it doesn't exist.

A guy who haven't left his village and never seen Lahore or Pinidi, for him his entire world is within the boundaries of his village, and for him that is the most important place. How would he travel to mainland Pakistan if there are no roads? How would he know about our history when he has no education?

How would FATAian know about Pakistan when they only know of FCR and when they are governed by different set of laws?

These projects will help reduce these voids and gulfs.

Now a guy like you who spent most of his brains finding shytty ideas even at most holy of the places MUST have known that the impact of these projects, most of which were completed less than a year ago, would not start having effect overnight.

Do you think a school which became operational in 2013 would convert all the possible brain-washees into a healthy part of the society within a year? Or a road that became operation a few month back will increase the income of a household within days so that the residents would stop falling prey to bad money? This will take its due course and time, but yes these have started yielding fruit:

Initiatives like the central corridor will ease the trade between Pakistan and Afghanistan and would then bring prosperity. Ofcourse, unlike in your world, in the real world these changes would take its due time:

13472615264_e0b0880bc6.jpg

Improved communication infrastructure would allow more interaction with FATAian and rest of Pakistan and would ease when a step would be taken to abolish FCR from there. Common sense which you direly lack says that if the government could not abolish FCR in the past 6 decades, it cannot be done unless the effectees are brought on board. This is one of the way of telling the FATAians that they live in a 'different' world and that they need to change:

13472613794_919ec9a8eb.jpg

i am sure a thick-head like yourself would fail to understand the next three pics and thus the impact thereof:

13472264725_41d418b21b.jpg

13472265935_31dd5bfdc9.jpg

13472268445_af3724326b.jpg

Lesser possibility of these guys going astray, no? Or may be you think insurgencies die when the current setup running it is eliminated?

13472375903_02e2ffbeab.jpg

13472275465_782d271e7f.jpg

13472627424_c9dfc249fe.jpg

13472625874_a8b7554476.jpg

13472271885_dbfc70b264.jpg

There was a reason i uploaded the entire presentation both in PDF and JPEG format so that the readers can go through them with ease in any format they like. Still i knew idiots like you would not read it and hence i also started posting the pics of the same so that you could read it without much effort, but then i guess i was wrong.

Now, coming back to your question. Do you think the US having spent 100s of millions in Afg during the 80s to defeat the USSR, if had spent even 10 million after they had achieved their aim on education and rehabilitation of Afghan Mujahideens, would there have been such a mess in Afg today?

Had those Mujahideens been given an alternative source of income and something else to do, things would have been different. But then, it would not had happened overnight.

A school constructed today would bear its fruit may be after another 10 years when a child who would have been left uneducated and would have joined the TTP when grownup, would now probably not do that as by going to that school, he is less likely to fall prey to the appeals of insurgents. But it will take its time!

For now, the impact is that FATAian now know that they have to think beyond FATA. There is a country they belong to and it is that country that takes precedence over everything else. All of these schools that have been constructed, a very few are the new ones. Majority are those that have been destroyed by the militants. Now those which have been constructed anew and those that have been expanded, have been given land by the locals free of cost. People have begged that schools should be built on their land.

What do you think this is?

This is that ownness that once lacked. People ask what's the guarantee that these schools will work once the Army has left. Well apart from the fact that the FATA Dev Authority was made part and parcel of every project and that these schools have already been there with adequate staff, the locals will ensure that these schools dont shut down as it was they who wanted a school in their area.

The impact is that children who would first listened to Mullah FM's BS 24/7 now pay attention to their books.

The kids who would wander here and there and provide intelligence to the terrorists about Army's presence for Rs 100, now spend their time in schools doing something much better.

A teenager who would attend IED classes in lieu of few bucks now concentrate over his father's business as their apples dont go waste due to the cold storage facility and they receive more return on their produce as it can reach major cities within hours instead of days.

A butcher (actual one who had a shop) who would once slaughter a human and make a video of the same for Rs 25000/- now dont do that because he has a business to tend to.

An exuberant teen who would once plant an IED during his leisure time to earn some pocket money would not do that as he can either earn the same amount by traveling to a major city or utilizing his time in a school.

Now if you think that providing medical facilities at the door step, having a school, having access to clean drinking water or good roads would prevent a hardened militant from doing his nasty business, then you are not only stupid but a rascal who deliberately try to stall a positive effort. These guys, the kind of which conducted blasts in Islamabad needs to be eliminated and soon they would be. The projects on the other hand will prevent from others doing the same in the future. Now that's common sense, something you are averse to.

You know that insurgencies are not ended just by killing the current setup of insurgents but by eliminating the root cause of insurgency in the long term, so that is the impact these projects shall have, as quoted in the Afghan example.

Things would have been better if these projects have been initiated earlier, or had Swat been taken over by the civilian administration. But then your beloved politicians and bureaucrats whom you dont like to criticize were busy looting other national corporations like the PIA and Railways.

So, i suggest that you stop thinking from your sphincter and use the watery tissue that you probably still have.

And in the end, for any further keera that you have on the subject, please refer to the last line of my signature as i dont have time for your stupid queries which could have been answered if you have bothered to go through my posts and the items i post in totality.

@Xeric - if you have an account on Image Shack try to use that. The latests posts are not showing. Ensure the link you posted is accurate. Thanks bro.

Yaar, i used flickr but it was not allowing me to embed the images, then i resorted to photobucket but i didnt know that they would have some bandwidth issues. Still, the limitation would be limited within a few days and the pics would be visible again.

Last edited:
Thanks @Xeric for sharing the files.

Hopefully it would help somewhat DISPEL the usual notions and 2 dollar propaganda out there. And by the way the images are showing now. Cheers.

Obviously the irony of what you say escapes you, Abu: On one hand your uncouth senior claims the impact of the economic investments in these projects and on the other you admit that the terrorists agenda is not even that of economics.

i wont even reply to that until you explain to me...what did you meant by "your uncouth senior"??

And yet the genius fauji thinkers are trying to bribe the population with these shiny new buildings and "free" electricity, not realizing that the roots of the radicalism lie deeply and widely.

CHALO JI aur suno!

I mean i thought i heard it all, but evidently not!

By the way i didnt know it was Army's job to teach people to be responsible citizens rather than become one of the whackos who blow themselves up. You better have a good answer for this one, friend.

[Abu, Have you any idea the amount of electricity consumed by the military that is not paid for? Please take a look at the detailed breakdown of the defaulters.

Sure, share the data.

In that case, let me ask this then: What good are similar projects that are claimed to be under progress in Baluchistan and to what effect? The answer needs to be critically honest, since the evidence seems to suggest zilch.

The impact does not and will not come in a day. These are long term projects and need to run in the social fabric of the society for a while before they start giving results. This is true for any public project or business initiative for that matter. The break even point isn't achieved instantly, it takes time.

The impact does not and will not come in a day. These are long term projects and need to run in the social fabric of the society for a while before they start giving results. This is true for any public project or business initiative for that matter. The break even point isn't achieved instantly, it takes time.

Yes but the title and posts claim as if the impact is now, but it seems to be another case of premature celebration. And even then, it might not work given the scale of the problem.

Yes but the title and posts claim as if the impact is now, but it seems to be another case of premature celebration. And even then, it might not work given the scale of the problem.

There's an immediate and distant result - both equally important. Immediate is that people have the infrastructure to use which they hadn't for a very long time, and the distant is that people will have hope. Something to look forward to except the same dusty road and unclean water they have been for decades. And the scale of the problem is nothing more than the intertia on part of the state which is being broken, that sure is a cause of celebration.

There's an immediate and distant result - both equally important. Immediate is that people have the infrastructure to use which they hadn't for a very long time, and the distant is that people will have hope. Something to look forward to except the same dusty road and unclean water they have been for decades. And the scale of the problem is nothing more than intertia on part of the state which is being broken, that sure is a cause of celebration.

That is the rationale for the hope, but it is only a hope. To propagandize this as an achievement, as is being claimed by the arrogant and rude OP and his minion, is premature at this point. That is all.

That is the rationale for the hope, but it is only a hope. To propagandize this as an achievement, as is being claimed by the arrogant and rude OP and his minion, is premature at this point. That is all.

It's not just a hope, it's a proven strategy which works in all COIN operations, and I think that's what the OP is trying to say. These projects are not only giving hope, but also an alternative to the violence ridden lives that the people of FATA have been living.

It's not just a hope, it's a proven strategy which works in all COIN operations, and I think that's what the OP is trying to say. These projects are not only giving hope, but also an alternative to the violence ridden lives that the people of FATA have been living.

Well, honestly tell me how well this "proven" strategy has worked out in Swat thus far?

Opinion
Change in Fata
Owen Bennett-Jones
Tuesday, April 29, 2014

4-29-2014_247008_l_akb.jpg
The shockwaves of 9/11 hit deep in the tribal areas. Maliks were killed, drones fired and the long-established political agents lost much of their status and authority.

The army campaigns against the Taliban forced hundreds of thousands from their homes. Even now IDPs languish in camps. Some fear the conflict is not yet over. Others can’t afford to rebuild properties destroyed by the army campaign against the Taliban.

And a few – maybe quite a few – have decided that the bright lights of the big cities are so enticing they are in no hurry to go back home. Many of the women from the tribal areas have had their eyes opened by their experiences outside of their home areas.

It’s a situation that raises the question: what is the future of the tribal areas? Have the old structures been so shaken that permanent change is on the way?

Before 9/11 many Maliks resisted economic development in their areas. They knew that increasing wealth and opportunity for the younger generation would threaten their power and status. Projects that in other parts of Pakistan would have been welcomed with open arms were rejected out of hand. With the idea that ‘where wheels roll, the law comes’ firmly entrenched in their minds, some Maliks even resisted attempts to build roads in their areas.

They also held back education. In South Waziristan there are supposed to be 660 government-run schools – more than enough for the needs of the population. But around half don’t function: instead the elders filch the funds allocated by the government. No wonder the literacy rate in the agency is an outrageous 29 percent for men and five percent for women.

The world of the Maliks has long looked anachronistic and archaic but it is now under real threat. With US, Saudi and UAE money the Pakistan Army has implemented a massive construction programme. Roads, irrigation systems and electricity supply and distribution networks have all been built. It is a remarkable fact that South Waziristan now has a better infrastructure than many of the nearby settled areas.

There are now two visions of the future of the tribal areas. One, advanced by politicians and academics such as Imran Khan and Akbar S Ahmed involves a return to the tribal structures of old. The tribal culture, the argument goes, was created over a period of thousands of years and is so deeply entrenched within tribal society that the damage done over the last decade will soon be repaired.

And it’s not just that the tribal system is likely to re-emerge, it is argued: it would be positively beneficial if it did. The Maliks need to reassert themselves because only they will be able to control the Taliban.

Once the Americans leave Afghanistan the jihadis’ best recruiting tool will have gone. The Pakistan Taliban will be a diminishing force unable to inspire young men to fight. Those that remain committed to jihad will find themselves increasingly isolated, unable to challenge the re-established authority of the Maliks.

Imran Khan goes even further than this pragmatic argument. The fundamental ‘democratic’ structures in the tribal areas, he says, endow the men there with an unusual degree of independence. He see the tribal social structures as an idealised form of local, Athenian, democracy in which the citizens (just the male ones presumably) are in charge of their own lives and their own communities and as a result are endowed with a certain proud nobility.

But there is an alternative view of the tribal areas. The critics of the system say that the Maliks, far from being proud inheritors of an ancient, finely honed political system are local potentates holding their communities back so as to hold onto power. And for centuries all they have delivered is poverty, a lack of education, and appalling health care facilities. For all the attempts to romanticise it, life in the tribal areas is nasty, brutish and short.

And under this second view, while the Maliks may complain about the Frontier Crimes Regulations, the collective punishments and detentions without trial are in fact an integral part of the system that keeps them in power. The tribal areas, in short, are regressive, backward and archaic and in urgent need of change.

The post-9/11 decade has been so traumatic for the tribal areas that the time for change does indeed seem to be at hand. But the Maliks still have a hand to play and if past experience is anything to go by they are likely to play it well.

Take the example of South Waziristan today. The Taliban in North Waziristan, fearing a government offensive, are already trying to prepare escape routes. Many are slipping into South Waziristan, making contact with their connections in Wana and asking whether they might be able to lay low there until any army campaign is over.

The military, keen to deny the Taliban sanctuaries, is asking the Maliks to deny the Taliban safe places to stay. The situation is giving the Maliks the leverage they need to reassert themselves.

Many people pay lip service to the idea that the tribal areas should be more fully integrated into the rest of Pakistan. But mainstreaming Fata will involve hard choices. While relying on the Maliks to control the Taliban may make tactical sense, in the longer term it will frustrate the drive and need for reform.

The writer is a freelance British journalist, one of the hosts of BBC’s Newshour and the author of the new political thriller, Target Britain.

Twitter: @OwenBennettJone

Email: bennettjones@hotmail.com

Army is doing a good job in FATA. I hope they achieve success with operation and development work.

Back
Top Bottom