What's new

APC plan to invest $10b to mitigate power crisis in Pakistan

UmarJustice

New Recruit

Reaction score
The Asia Pacific Corporation (APC) would present its investment plan worth of $10 billion to the new government of Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz (PML-N) to overcome power crisis in the country.
Sources informed that Consortium leaders of Asia Pacific Corporation (APC) would present its proposals to the new government regarding replacement of existing gas meters with smart meters and gas leakage detection and reduction in the existing gas transmission and distribution system of the Sui Northern Gas Pipelines Ltd. (SNGPL) and Sui Southern Gas Company Ltd (SSGC) network. Sources were of the view that APC investment package worth of $10 billion would save 7,000 megawatt in the power sector while in the gas sector a significant quantity of the total UFG of 108,683 MMCF/year will be saved. The Consortium leaders of Asia Pacific Corporation (APC) presented their plan to the former PPP led coalition government in September 2012 to overcome energy crisis. However, the former government did not give due attention to investment plan and resultantly the power crisis has deteriorated in the country. Sources said that power situation could improve in the months to come if PML-N government implemented the plan in the country. The APC would make $9 billion investment in the power sector and $1.5 billion in the gas sector.
The Energy Efficiency Programme proposed by Asia Pacific Corporation included replacement of 23 million existing electric meters with smart meters, which would save 2,000-megawatt electricity in the country. The consortium would invest $5 billion in replacing the electric meters. Similarly, the APC consortium would invest $1.5 billion in rehabilitation, upgradation and improving the performance of National Transmission Dispatch Company (NTDC) that could save 2000-4000 megawatt electricity in the country. According to the project plan, the APC consortium would make $3 billion investment in providing energy savers and streetlights at subsidise rates in the country. The country could save 1500-megawatt electricity by using efficient energy savers (CSFLi).
Asia Pacific Corporation with the support of its financial advisor and co-coordinator are in a position to mobilise over $10 billion investment through corporate sources for the proposed programmes. It is pertinent to state that APC and partners have already completed the arrangements for mobilisation of necessary funds for the proposed programmes and implementation will begin immediately after signing of the LOIs., the drafts of which have already been submitted to the ministry of water and power and ministry of petroleum and natural resources. It is further important to note that government of Pakistan will not be required to make any advance payment.
Repayments will be for power/ gas saved as determined in the feasibility report and as per agreements executed between GOP and the project sponsors, meaning “Pay As You Earn”.

APC plan to invest $10b to mitigate power crisis

This actually seems like a fair deal, pay as you earn is good for countries that can't afford to pay off large loans from the IMF. Nawaz would be a fool to not consider signing this plan.

Thaaaank you APC! Replacement of existing meters with smart meters is indeed a very important step...no more chori through lineman.

good news finaly my Grandmother (90 sum years old) can get electricity where she lives becuase the heat in pakistan is just too much specially for people that old

thank you APC.........

I hope the politicians dont start corruption like raja rental and the IPP companies

This actually seems like a fair deal, pay as you earn is good for countries that can't afford to pay off large loans from the IMF. Nawaz would be a fool to not consider signing this plan.

Don't be silly, the basic definition of investment is put money in, and take more money out.

While these consortium(s) can pump major $$, they can also control major policy in future. It is slavery 2013 model.

Thaaaank you APC! Replacement of existing meters with smart meters is indeed a very important step...no more chori through lineman.

While Dr Samar is left high and dry .. with no or little backing by the government.
He is in Saudi Arabia these days, along with some other of his team to try and find investors for coal gasification project.

Business community all over the world is showing strong trust and confidence on Nawaz Sharif. But again, I have a request to everyone on this forum who belong to different countries (India, Turkey, Israel, US, Arab states), please dont judge pakistan by the posts being made by a tiny group of people on this forum. Those people used to support the dictator and now the very same people support another lost leader called Imran khan. These very same people are spreading negativity and imposing their weak and disgusting mentality on other members and on this forum. Please, do not judge pakistan by the action of these PTI troll supporters. They are worthless and have absolutely no contribution in the well being of Pakistan. They are not only bunch of kids talking out of their butt, they are also extremists, Thanks to their leader

Don't be silly, the basic definition of investment is put money in, and take more money out.

While these consortium(s) can pump major $$, they can also control major policy in future. It is slavery 2013 model.

While Dr Samar is left high and dry .. with no or little backing by the government.
He is in Saudi Arabia these days, along with some other of his team to try and find investors for coal gasification project.

Dr.samar is a fraud!

its a massive investment which can put pakistan back on development track.. but only if it got implemented and some new raja rental don't come up

$10 billion is hell lot of money and i dont think they will be investing all alone given the past track record of our country...... also what will they be getting in return for such a big investment..... i dont think this is happening anytime soon....

Not really, there are different forms of investment. The deal seems more to favor Pakistan, as Pakistan won't have to pay anything if it is not making money. If anything, the APC has no choice but to make sure Pakistan is making money and prospering, otherwise the APC will lose it's entire investment.

I am very SCARED when I see such CORPROATIONS come and steal the assets
specially the power and energy sector...

It always starts with IMF loan
Prices in country goes down to pennies level
Corporations come in take over the Power . telecom sector
Prices go up again they make profit
Then they raise utilities prices and make more money

Please be reasonable, anyone, even you, would not make an investment without the opportunity to generate PROFITS, would you? So why be hostile to the idea?? Even so called "Islamic" investment depends on profits, by whatever other name, right??

On the other hand, these are merely public statements about possible investment.

Please be reasonable, anyone, even you, would not make an investment without the opportunity to generate PROFITS, would you? So why be hostile to the idea?? Even so called "Islamic" investment depends on profits, by whatever other name, right??

On the other hand, these are merely public statements about possible investment.

I am neither hostile nor in opposition to the idea, I am however reluctant and suspicious
if at all our government will share the true extent of the "vested interests".

All I want is to know the price of lighting the bulb at my house, $ and otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom