What's new

American Thoughts on Living in India

Shatterpoint

BANNED
Reaction score
This is a wonderfully written article by an American woman living in Mumbai, India, I think she describes it very well, very poetically.

LINK: American Thoughts on Living in India | Monsoon Masala: Indian Immigrant Community of Seattle - seattlepi.com

"To outsiders, living in India has a particular kind of glamour attached to it, a special sparkle that sees people crowding around me at parties. “You live in India? My God, really? I could never do that. What’s it like?” The closest I have come to answering that question is that it’s like being in a very intense, extremely dysfunctional relationship. India and I fight, we scream, we argue, we don’t speak for days on end, but really, deep down, we love each other. She’s a strange beast, this India. She hugs me, so tightly sometimes that I can’t breathe, then she turns and punches me hard in the face, leaving me stunned. Then she hugs me again, and suddenly I know everything will be all right."

http://blog.seattlepi.com/monsoonmasala/2011/01/29/american-thoughts-on-living-in-india/

Haave meet these crazy people in kumb mela they do only one thing keep on chanting hare krishna hare rama

Many of them dont leave and stay in india

For someone visiting India for the first time, it could be overwhelming, but after spending some time India becomes magic.

I liked the way the article was written, you can tell by her words that she does love Mumbai and India, it's a love hate relationship and a lot of my friends have said the same thing about India, they say there is something about your country, it's like an addiction.

I liked that she is not simply living in hotel rooms and boardrooms like most corporate immigrants to India. If she is trying to catch an auto or taxi here all by herself, I am impressed.

@Shatterpoint: Dont get your hopes too high. You may be disappointed. Set the bar low and then be amazed :)
Also a piece of good news for you. The value of rupee fell by more than 10% in the past few days. So you get to spend more and perhaps more time here in India :welcome:

I liked that she is not simply living in hotel rooms and boardrooms like most corporate immigrants to India. If she is trying to catch an auto or taxi here all by herself, I am impressed.

@Shatterpoint: Dont get your hopes too high. You may be disappointed. Set the bar low and then be amazed :)
Also a piece of good news for you. The value of rupee fell by more than 10% in the past few days. So you get to spend more and perhaps more time here in India :welcome:

Thanks rubyjackass, the thing is that my kids are in love with India now after reading and watching shows on TV about it, I am not sure how we are going to explain to them the poverty etc, we have tried to tell them about the poverty and they said they want to help, my kids a good kids and they are packing some of their toys etc to give to the poor.

I know India has many and vast problems, but we are open minded people and we know that in a country with a population so big it's hard for everyone, I am sure we will enjoy it, yes we are going to be shocked by the extreme poverty etc, but yes we will be amazed by the beauty as well.

Back
Top Bottom