What's new

Alert for fleeing Chinese nationals, no one held: Officials

AnGrz_Z_K_Jailer

Reaction score
Country
India

NEW DELHI/RAIPUR: Indian airport authorities are on the lookout for Chinese nationals who have fled from a Bharat Aluminium Company Ltd (Balco)
plant in Chhattisgarh, after an under-construction chimney collapsed killing 45 people, but no one has been detained till now, officials said Sunday.

"About 70 Chinese nationals, mostly engineers, have left Korba town amid rising death toll of workers," a police source said in Raipur.

The Chinese nationals were employed in Korba town, 250 km north of state capital Raipur, by Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation (SEPCO) - a China-based company that was given the contract to construct a 1,200-MW thermal power plant.

SEPCO, in turn, had given a contract to Gannon Dunkerley and Company Ltd (GDCL) for construction of a 275-metre high chimney for the plant that caved in. So far, 45 bodies have been retrieved from the debris of the chimney scattered over a large area.

Several workers are still feared to be trapped in the rubble.

"Even the SEPCO office is locked. We need to stop them from fleeing Chhattisgarh, or even from India, as they need to be interrogated about the tragedy for a judicial probe," the police official said.

Meanwhile highly placed sources in the national capital told said that no Chinese national has been detained following the lookout notice against them.

"In the past two days, no such detention has been made," the source said.

Link : Pak doesn't want 'half baked' case against Saeed: Qureshi- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

India has included the Chinese engineers in investigation.

I dont think so they can flee India.

India has included the Chinese engineers in investigation.

I dont think so they can flee India.

Mam 89 chinese already hiding in which 5 been caught. When the incident happened all 89 chinese escaped. No one knows why the runaway. That made indian goverment to doubt. Nothing wrong in investigation but still we dont know why chinese engineers decided to run and hide. Infact even indian workers told chinese engineers that chimney might fall but chinese engineers assured them they are safe while working. Over 50 workers died just before festival diwali.. Now only tears in those people house where they lost loveones.. Accident happens but why did chinese engineers assured and runaway within 5minutes after accident.. India should not take china's help in infrastructure. Who knows this engineers have some kind of ambition to make faulty infrastructure. That way they will harm india safely. R.I.P To those who lost life in this tragedy..

Gannon Dunkerley was the main company in-charge of the chimney. So why are SEPCO employees under investigation? Was SEPCO overlooking the chimney construction too?

Anyways... really sad so many people died.

Well, in case of a design fault, the engineering company will be held responsible (like in case of Delhi Metro bridge collapse) rather then the construction company. I presume SEPCO was the main EPC (Engineering, Procurement & Construction) company for the entire power plant with Gannon Dunkerley being awarded sub-contract for only construction. Anyways, its still an speculation only. However, it is one of the worst industrial tragedy in India after a long time (I remember the Bhopal incident to be the last major incident) and needs to investigated adequately. Specially since there will be a thousands of more urgent (hence accident prone) construction activities happenning in India in the very near future and Project safety needs to be taken up very seriously at this moment.

NEW DELHI/RAIPUR: Indian airport authorities are on the lookout for Chinese nationals who have fled from a Bharat Aluminium Company Ltd (Balco)
plant in Chhattisgarh, after an under-construction chimney collapsed killing 45 people, but no one has been detained till now, officials said Sunday.

"About 70 Chinese nationals, mostly engineers, have left Korba town amid rising death toll of workers," a police source said in Raipur.

The Chinese nationals were employed in Korba town, 250 km north of state capital Raipur, by Shandong Electric Power Construction Corporation (SEPCO) - a China-based company that was given the contract to construct a 1,200-MW thermal power plant.

SEPCO, in turn, had given a contract to Gannon Dunkerley and Company Ltd (GDCL) for construction of a 275-metre high chimney for the plant that caved in. So far, 45 bodies have been retrieved from the debris of the chimney scattered over a large area.

Several workers are still feared to be trapped in the rubble.

"Even the SEPCO office is locked. We need to stop them from fleeing Chhattisgarh, or even from India, as they need to be interrogated about the tragedy for a judicial probe," the police official said.

Meanwhile highly placed sources in the national capital told said that no Chinese national has been detained following the lookout notice against them.

"In the past two days, no such detention has been made," the source said.

Link : Pak doesn't want 'half baked' case against Saeed: Qureshi- Politics/Nation-News-The Economic Times

Unfortunately industrial accident.

It seems they don't want to be unfairly blamed for this accident, when the Construction company GDCL or Balco may be more to blame. The contract for the construction was given to Gannon Dunkerly and Company Ltd (GDCL), which means that the collapse was most likely due poor construction. GDCL is responsible for the 275-metre high chimney that caved in, unless can be shown otherwise.

It is reasonable to interview ALL people involved (not just the engineers) - let's hope India places the blame(s) on the proper people/companies and not scapegoat it. There have been several cases in the past where foreign firms where unfairly and falsely accused by India, for mistakes done by local Indians/Indian firms. That is probably why those engineers feared for their lives.

Well, in case of a design fault, the engineering company will be held responsible (like in case of Delhi Metro bridge collapse) rather then the construction company. I presume SEPCO was the main EPC (Engineering, Procurement & Construction) company for the entire power plant with Gannon Dunkerley being awarded sub-contract for only construction. Anyways, its still an speculation only. However, it is one of the worst industrial tragedy in India after a long time (I remember the Bhopal incident to be the last major incident) and needs to investigated adequately. Specially since there will be a thousands of more urgent (hence accident prone) construction activities happenning in India in the very near future and Project safety needs to be taken up very seriously at this moment.

It is seriously doubtful that it is a design fault, rather seems to be faulty construction by GDCL. The reason is that Chinese firms are very experienced in these industrial designs, which conform to existing international standards. China has extensive expertise and experience in design and construction. This is one of the main reasons why Chinese firms employ their own people for construction work. We need not point fingers at anyone yet, until we have more concrete evidence.

So why did the engineers flee? Seems the engineers don't want to be made into the scapegoat (as foreigner companies normally are). Indian judiciary and police system are seen as corrupt and unfair. The reason I doubt it is a design fault is because China builds up extensive experience with large scale projects at home before bidding for international projects. Not only that, but proven designs methodologies are used. Take for example the 3-Gorges Dam, the largest and most complex in the world. China built that, and gained much real-life experience with potential problems and their solutions. To date China has built several dozen major dams around the country, and optimized their designs before they ventured outside. Same with Japan, Germany, France, US, Russia. You should always ensure adequate quality before you try to sell it to someone else.

Will Gannon Dunkerley try to skirt the blame onto SEPCO? Most likely. Even if Gannon was the guilty party? Most likely. Will India conduct a fair and thorough investigation? Hopefully for all parties involved.

I am not saying for certain whether GDCL or SEPCO or some other sub-contractor, or some construction worker who cut corners is mainly responsible. But to pin the blame on the design fault is flimsy as argued above. Because this involved international companies this issue should be handled with extra care.

Last edited:
I would like to add that I have much experience on large-scale, large-budget international industrial projects as well as domestic ones. I have never unfairly or wrongly shifted the blame onto others.

However, it is common for people in the industry to claim to be an 'expert', but instead you witness them 'cutting corners' and 'finger pointing'.

Unfortunately industrial accident.

It seems they don't want to be unfairly blamed for this accident, when the Construction company GDCL or Balco may be more to blame. The contract for the construction was given to Gannon Dunkerly and Company Ltd (GDCL), which means that the collapse was most likely due poor construction. GDCL is responsible for the 275-metre high chimney that caved in, unless can be shown otherwise.

It is reasonable to interview ALL people involved (not just the engineers) - let's hope India places the blame(s) on the proper people/companies and not scapegoat it. There have been several cases in the past where foreign firms where unfairly and falsely accused by India, for mistakes done by local Indians/Indian firms. That is probably why those engineers feared for their lives.

Please stop unnecessary rant...Where and when india framed foreign firms? Please don't make yourself smart enough to take every thing as granted...
Who-ever is guilty should be punished and will be punished either its chinese company's fault or Indian.. It costed so many dearly lives...

It is seriously doubtful that it is a design fault, rather seems to be faulty construction by GDCL. The reason is that Chinese firms are very experienced in these industrial designs, which conform to existing international standards. China has extensive expertise and experience in design and construction. This is one of the main reasons why Chinese firms employ their own people for construction work. We need not point fingers at anyone yet, until we have more concrete evidence.

So why did the engineers flee? Seems the engineers don't want to be made into the scapegoat (as foreigner companies normally are). Indian judiciary and police system are seen as corrupt and unfair. The reason I doubt it is a design fault is because China builds up extensive experience with large scale projects at home before bidding for international projects. Not only that, but proven designs methodologies are used. Take for example the 3-Gorges Dam, the largest and most complex in the world. China built that, and gained much real-life experience with potential problems and their solutions. To date China has built several dozen major dams around the country, and optimized their designs before they ventured outside. Same with Japan, Germany, France, US, Russia. You should always ensure adequate quality before you try to sell it to someone else.

Will Gannon Dunkerley try to skirt the blame onto SEPCO? Most likely. Even if Gannon was the guilty party? Most likely. Will India conduct a fair and thorough investigation? Hopefully for all parties involved.

I am not saying for certain whether GDCL or SEPCO or some other sub-contractor, or some construction worker who cut corners is mainly responsible. But to pin the blame on the design fault is flimsy as argued above. Because this involved international companies this issue should be handled with extra care.

First of all, you need to read posts more carefully and clearly without any biased mind as I said clearly in my post that my thought is purely a speculation at this stage and not pinning blame on anyone.

Secondly, stop declaring Indian judiciary system as corrupt and unfair if you want yourself to be considered as a serious poster. Our judiciary had tackled many delicate issues with utmost responsibility and if you really have any idea about Indian judiciary system, you would not have made such reckless statement(s) which borders being trollish.

Thirdly and on the topic, I too have more then 14 years of work experience in technical services in an Industrial atmosphere, so I too believe I have some knowledge in this field. Comparing dam design to that of a stack is like comparing aple to oranges. Do you have any idea what all can go wrong in a 260 meter stack design. Even a second decimal mistake with the wind velocity will play havoc in calculation of dynamic load and will make the stack completely instable. Also, people who do work are prone to mistake then people who does not work at all. Completing many project is not a guarantee that nothing will go wrong in the next project. Many industrial disasters happen due tho this kind of over-confidence only.

Now, I am also not saying its a certain mistake of any particular party. Let the investigation be complete and the guilty party must be booked for the calousness for which so many lives has been lost, be it the design, construction, sub-contractor, quality control or just an ignorant worker who did not tighten the last bolt properly.

Last edited:

Now, I am also not saying its a certain mistake of any particular party. Let the investigation be complete and the guilty party must be booked for the calousness for which so many lives has been lost, be it the design, construction, sub-contractor, quality control or just a ignorant worker who did not tighten the last bolt properly.

You neglected the MOST PROBABLE cause which may be due to sub-standard construction, and went straight for design fault. Remember SEPCO sub-contracted this work to GDCL.

More importantly, the 'guilty party' may very well be the construction workers who cut corners &/or used shoddy materials, un-skilled/un-experienced in this type of construction. In this case, it means that these workers caused their own deaths.

The clue here is that this seems to be that the 275 meter tall chimney for a smeltering plant for Aluminum. Even for concrete-steel chimney, that's very tall. :police:

You neglected the MOST PROBABLE cause which may be due to sub-standard construction, and went straight for design fault. Remember SEPCO sub-contracted this work to GDCL.

More importantly, the 'guilty party' may very well be the construction workers who cut corners &/or used shoddy materials, un-skilled/un-experienced in this type of construction. In this case, it means that these workers caused their own deaths.

The clue here is that this seems to be that the 275 meter tall chimney for a smeltering plant for Aluminum. Even for concrete-steel chimney, that's very tall. :police:

In case you have missed it again, I am repeating myself. "I was speculating". got it? While in speculation mode, untill enquiry is conclusively completed, every one is a suspect. :police:

I am not even sure that SEPCO is the party responsible for design and it may well be that GDCL (or anyone else for that matter) is the one who had designed the stack. That's why I made it clear it was all a mere SPECULATION!!! Sorry if my speculation tickled the wrong bone in you. peace.

According to what I saw on the internet,that part was designed by GDCL.Correct me if I am wrong

BALCO mishap: three top Chinese officers arrested
Mon, Jan 11 08:48 PM

Korba, Jan 11 (PTI) Three top Chinese officials were today arrested in connection with the BALCO mishap which claimed over 40 lives last September. Three officials of M/s Sepco Company - Project Manager U Chunan and civil engineers Lu Gukan and Wan Wang were arrested under IPC Sections 304 (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 34 (Acts done by several persons in furtherance of common intention) and 326 (voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons means), police said.

The Sepco officials were produced before a local court which remanded them in judicial custody for seven days, SP Ratanlal Dangi said. Around 80 Sepco officials had come from China to install the chimney in the Balco company, Dangi said.

Police had earlier arrested four persons including three top BALCO officials - company''s vice president Viral Mehta, additional general manager, Deepak Narang and engineer Atul Mahapatra and GDCL Project Manager Manoj Sharma. There are likely to be some more arrests, police sources said.

In September a chimney in the 1,200-MW power plant of Bharat Aluminium Company Ltd (Balco) collapsed, leading to the death of at least 40 labourers. Around 300 labourers were working at that time.

Back
Top Bottom