What's new

Afghan Govt Rejects Hagel's India Remarks.

Gandalf

BANNED
Reaction score
Afghan Govt Rejects Hagel's India Remarks.
Thursday, 28 February 2013 19:46
Written by Anisa Shahid

The Afghan government on Thursday stressed that it will not allow any other country to use Afghanistan to target other countries, seeking to downplay the fracas over comments made by the newly-appointed US Secretary of Defence Chuck Hagel on the India-Afghan relationship.

Hagel was quoted as saying that India is using Afghanistan as a "second front" against its old rival Pakistan, but the Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs responded that any relations with the Indian government are based on goodwill and for Afghanistan's reconstruction.

"Afghanistan is a moderate country and will not allow anyone to insecure other countries from its soil. Our relationship with India is based goodwill and for the purpose of reconstruction of the country," Deputy Ministry Spokesman Siamak Herawi told TOLOnews.

"There are proven documents that many terrorists are being trained in Pakistan," he added.

The Indian government already reacted to the report of Hagel's comments made in 2011 at an Oaklahoma university but which were re-reported this week by an online news outlet.

India has defended its presence in Afghanistan and has also somewhat defended Hagel's appointment as Secretary of Defence.

"He has made no such statement. You are talking about some lecture given in a university two years ago. So I don't think it is correct to comment on a lecture given by a person two years ago," said Salman Khurshid, Indian Foreign Minister, according to Reuters.

However, India's main opposition leader Murli Manohar Joshi has spoken against Hagel's appointment.

"That is a very serious statement and such a person, if his office is confirmed by the government in the US, I think it will not be a very happy event for us," Reuters reported Joshi saying.

Afghan Govt Rejects Hagel's India Remarks

Hagel said it because its true,

This is just political, diplomacy rubbish

We know india has supported terrorists that is the bottom line,

Doesn't matter. Even US rejected the same... & won't be surprised if Chuck Hagel rejects his own remark! :lol:

No buddy. US did not reject it enough. I am surprised at how India ignored the comments so easily. His comments are going to end up in ****** textbooks in Pakistan as proof of India's involvement. Even sensible people like Najam Sethi will(if he already did not) pick up such statements. And there are enough morons in their country who will pick up even KKK's statements to prove that Jews are bad.

India is brushing off the controversy saying his remarks do not reflect US policy. Who cares what US policy is? What matters is what the US considers as truth. There should be an explicit statement from Hagel or someone above him to correct the record. Otherwise India will again get bracketed with Pakistan. One of the reasons India did not get sympathy from the world in the past was because many in the West have an 'They are all the same people. They will keep fighting like this' attitude. Hagel's statements will support the thesis that India is as crazy as Pakistan.

May be India's strategy is to not attach too much importance to them and wish the world forgets them. I think that is a bad strategy.

No buddy. US did not reject it enough. I am surprised at how India ignored the comments so easily. His comments are going to end up in ****** textbooks in Pakistan as proof of India's involvement. Even sensible people like Najam Sethi will(if he already did not) pick up such statements. And there are enough morons in their country who will pick up even KKK's statements to prove that Jews are bad.

India is brushing off the controversy saying his remarks do not reflect US policy. Who cares what US policy is? What matters is what the US considers as truth. There should be an explicit statement from Hagel or someone above him to correct the record. Otherwise India will again get bracketed with Pakistan. One of the reasons India did not get sympathy from the world in the past was because many in the West have an 'They are all the same people. They will keep fighting like this' attitude. Hagel's statements will support the thesis that India is as crazy as Pakistan.

May be India's strategy is to not attach too much importance to them and wish the world forgets them. I think that is a bad strategy.

India already replied strongly in 2011

and now also

Chuck Hagel

Obviously... unless Chuck Hagel himself doesn't concede, the question mark will always remain. But as far as US is concerned... they are already in the damage control mode..

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-...alls-india-champion-regional.html#post3980273

Having said that... Pakistan will pick up on anything that is detrimental to India's national interests & serves their cause. Their textbooks are already filled with fictional verses about India, quite gruesome at that. One more paragraph won't make that much of a difference.

Karzai govt runs on aid from india and doesn't know what's happening outside kabul.

Nothing to get so worked-up as you are.
Who SAYS what and when is much less relevant than Who DOES what and when !!

Reject or not, US is the winner!

Sounds like a new divide and rule policy.

Very soon Chuck Hagel will visit India backtrack on his statements :lol:

Reject or not, US is the winner!

Sounds like a new divide and rule policy.

There is no winner or loser here. Remark was made well before he was even considered for his current job. Statements are easy to issue when you are not holding a responsible office... once you are in one, you realize the gravity of the situation. Even Obama boasted about recruiting an envoy especially to handle Pakistan, Afghanistan & India, when he was still campaigning for his election prior to his first term presidentship. Once he was elected he had to back track on that & had to settle for now infamous Af-Pak doctrine.

i agree with the statement.
@Sher Malang,maybe you can comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing to get so worked-up as you are.
Who SAYS what and when is much less relevant than Who DOES what and when !!
I would remind you about a certain Indo-Pak joint statement made in Sharm-el-Sheikh. It is now considered an egg on India's face. It DOES matter who SAYS what.

Back
Top Bottom