What's new

Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft by 2018

shree835

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
The product design work of Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft has been started by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and the vehicle is expected to be ready in 2018, Dr Tamilmani, Director General (Aeronautical Systems) DRDO, Bangalore has said.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the three-day international meet on ‘Product Life Cycle, Modelling, Simulation and Synthesis (PLMSS) at VIT university on Monday,’ he said the aircraft would be equipped with twin engines with super cruise power and for the first time it would be using the stealth technology to ‘hide’ from radar surveillance.

The work on the design of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) that began nearly 20 years back had culminated in developing vehicles using indigenous technology and the first batch of 40 such aircraft would be ready for defence utilization by the year 2017. The Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL) would manufacture four vehicles this year, eight by next year and sixteen each in the following two years, Tamilmani added. With the advent of communication and automation technology, system engineering and other tools, the message to the world community is: ‘India can build new-state-of-art aerospace technology products and is ready for competition.’ Tamilmani said each of the LCA would be built at an estimated cost of `200 crore and these aircraft would be subjected to around 14,000 failure simulation conditions, to test the efficacy of the technology before they were deployed for the army. The ground work on designing the aircraft was started in the year 1993 and the prototype would be ready in the next five years. “We had to build the technology all by ourselves from scratch as no agency was willing to share the technology. Even though we have taken a little more time to develop the technology, we have now laid a strong foundation in this field,” he noted.

While 30 to 40 per cent of the product development time was consumed for developing design and testing, 50 to 60 per cent of the time had to be spent on quality certification, which was very stringent. Around seven lakh plus test points have to be checked in the aircraft for the certification, Tamilmani added further.

“We are slowly making policy changes in the production of civil aircraft also. The government has allowed to manufacture 70 to 100-seater aircraft in the next five years,” he said. The private sector would be involved in a big way, to work with the National Aerospace Laboratories and the HAL. Many countries were presently using the platform of aeronautics to propel new technologies, using the concepts of PLMSS, without the support of which it would be difficult to design combat and civilian aircraft, Tamilmani pointed out.

'Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft by 2018' -The New Indian Express

Difficult to beilieve.......
I read somewhere that AMCA project has been stalled......

The product design work of Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft has been started by the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and the vehicle is expected to be ready in 2018, Dr Tamilmani, Director General (Aeronautical Systems) DRDO, Bangalore has said.

Speaking to reporters on the sidelines of the three-day international meet on ‘Product Life Cycle, Modelling, Simulation and Synthesis (PLMSS) at VIT university on Monday,’ he said the aircraft would be equipped with twin engines with super cruise power and for the first time it would be using the stealth technology to ‘hide’ from radar surveillance.

The work on the design of Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) that began nearly 20 years back had culminated in developing vehicles using indigenous technology and the first batch of 40 such aircraft would be ready for defence utilization by the year 2017. The Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL) would manufacture four vehicles this year, eight by next year and sixteen each in the following two years, Tamilmani added. With the advent of communication and automation technology, system engineering and other tools, the message to the world community is: ‘India can build new-state-of-art aerospace technology products and is ready for competition.’ Tamilmani said each of the LCA would be built at an estimated cost of `200 crore and these aircraft would be subjected to around 14,000 failure simulation conditions, to test the efficacy of the technology before they were deployed for the army. The ground work on designing the aircraft was started in the year 1993 and the prototype would be ready in the next five years. “We had to build the technology all by ourselves from scratch as no agency was willing to share the technology. Even though we have taken a little more time to develop the technology, we have now laid a strong foundation in this field,” he noted.

While 30 to 40 per cent of the product development time was consumed for developing design and testing, 50 to 60 per cent of the time had to be spent on quality certification, which was very stringent. Around seven lakh plus test points have to be checked in the aircraft for the certification, Tamilmani added further.

“We are slowly making policy changes in the production of civil aircraft also. The government has allowed to manufacture 70 to 100-seater aircraft in the next five years,” he said. The private sector would be involved in a big way, to work with the National Aerospace Laboratories and the HAL. Many countries were presently using the platform of aeronautics to propel new technologies, using the concepts of PLMSS, without the support of which it would be difficult to design combat and civilian aircraft, Tamilmani pointed out.

'Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft by 2018' -The New Indian Express

I was going to post it, but slept again....Any way I think increase in self confidence is making DRDO to go at this again...

I was going to post it, but slept again....Any way I think increase in self confidence is making DRDO to go at this again...
IOC of Tejas and other projects are giving more confidence to DRDO.

:victory:great india will get it's own amca soon hope there are no delays this time

well fingers crossed for this.... But is AMCA really possible within 4 years... i mean its still in papers and 4 years is too little a time.... anyways my best wishes...,

i think it looks a bit amateurish on the part of DRDO to think of multiple platforms rather than concentration on One line LCA and make MK2, MK 3 and may be N LCA Version 1 or even Version 2 implying continuous evolution.. doing that trying to develop our own radar and may be kaveri engine makes more sense...

The senseless talk of AMCA designing or production or years deadline is all crap.. Rather than perfecting a system with focussed approach they are trying to put and pull too many eggs in their basket..

We should first develop all necessary tech like what i mentioned before and then think of AMCA... uptill that we will depend on imports to make our jets which does nt serve the very purpose of having India's own aircraft..

The AMCA should be shelved for good.Instead,the very limited resources and trained man power ADE has,should be totally devoted in developing the AURA stealth HALE UCAV and get done with it.Why create a repeat of capability when we already have committed to FGFA project??

The AMCA should be shelved for good.Instead,the very limited resources and trained man power ADE has,should be totally devoted in developing the AURA stealth HALE UCAV and get done with it.Why create a repeat of capability when we already have committed to FGFA project??

But some people want this project for the matter of prestige.

The rational folk will nt ask for AMCA as of now.. they wud say first get the existing work done.. use the budget enhancement and complete stalled /partial success projects etc done... The guy just wanted to state that DRDO is doing great and projected that so that the new under graduates choose to join DRDO .. its propaganda fr attracting talents.. All sane ppl will react and say this statement is utter shit and if this project gets some money and resources are allocated then we only are making thing tough for ourselves..

Tamilmani said each of the LCA would be built at an estimated cost of `200 crore and these aircraft would be subjected to around 14,000 failure simulation conditions, to test the efficacy of the technology before they were deployed for the army.
WTF does that mean? Are these aircraft being built for the army or air force?? :what:

Then you don't know the difference/distinction of fighter planes. Why USA is vouching on F35 while they have F22?

Since you are an Indian Member and not a troll I will simplify it: There are 3 class of fighters by there weight Light weight (10-12 tonn), Medium weight (20 tonn) , Heavy weight (30 tonn).

Each class has some advantage and some limitation (which we can discuss later). The AMCA will fill Medium class, while FGFA will fill Heavy class, The LCA/Future Light class fighter will fill Light weight class.

There are some nations which don't use light class fighters because it doesn't fit there doctrine.

Second classification of fighters are based on usage/Role and they are: Point defense, Air superiority, Ground attack, SEAD etc.. A fighter can be customized to fit in one role or more than one role(swing role). Now a days no country want a dedicated role fighter. Even a fighter is swing role, it is more capable in one role than other. EG: Rafael is better ground attack fighter with good A2A capability while EFT is better A2A fighter with good ground attack capability.

Coming to AMCA: Its need for Indian low end role. Since after 30-40 years LCA will retired, and the Light weight class fighter will be removed from IAF. Then we will have medium class fighters and heavy fighters only.

Ignored.. I will keep ignoring your posts..

i think it looks a bit amateurish on the part of DRDO to think of multiple platforms rather than concentration on One line LCA and make MK2, MK 3 and may be N LCA Version 1 or even Version 2 implying continuous evolution.. doing that trying to develop our own radar and may be kaveri engine makes more sense...

The senseless talk of AMCA designing or production or years deadline is all crap.. Rather than perfecting a system with focussed approach they are trying to put and pull too many eggs in their basket..

We should first develop all necessary tech like what i mentioned before and then think of AMCA... uptill that we will depend on imports to make our jets which does nt serve the very purpose of having India's own aircraft..

You mean to say we do the same mistake what we did with HAL Marut? Do u even know what are u talking about?

DRDO/ARDE/HAL has structural engineer, what they will do? I can't see any design work left in LCA. The designers are free now, they can go for designing AMCA. This is called parallel use of resources.

Just tell me what work left in LCA now??

Last edited:
LCA will be serve as MACA when induct to India air force in 2018. Not mistaken this dream of India indigenous build LCA/MACA with 3rd generation fighter jet. Just a label proud Indian will call LCA as a MACA.

Back
Top Bottom