What's new

51 dead in Oklahoma tornado

Safriz

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
A mile wide tornado flattened entire neighborhoods on Oklahoma with winds of over 100mph.
More bodies being pulled out including children from a school.

Dozens killed in Moore, Oklahoma tornado
21 May 2013 Last updated at 02:47
At least 51 people have been killed after a huge tornado
tore through the Oklahoma City suburbs, with the death
toll likely to rise, the Oklahoma chief medical examiner's
office has said.
About 120 people, including 70 children, are being
treated for injuries in hospitals around Moore.
The tornado sparked fires, flattened neighbourhoods,
and destroyed schools on Monday afternoon.
Search and rescue efforts will continue throughout the
night, officials said.
Monday's twister hit Moore, a suburb of about 55,000
people in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area and
remained on the ground for about 45 minutes.
At least two schools took a "direct hit", and local news
station KFOR reported 20 to 30 children were still
unaccounted for.

m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22604251

At least 51 people have been killed after a huge tornado tore through the Oklahoma City suburbs, with the death toll likely to rise, the Oklahoma chief medical examiner's office has said.

About 120 people, including 70 children, are being treated for injuries in hospitals around Moore.

The tornado sparked fires, flattened neighbourhoods, and destroyed schools on Monday afternoon.

Search and rescue efforts will continue throughout the night, officials said.

Monday's twister hit Moore, a suburb of about 55,000 people in the Oklahoma City metropolitan area and remained on the ground for about 45 minutes.

At least two schools took a "direct hit", and local news station KFOR reported 20 to 30 children were still unaccounted for.
'Coming apart'

Oklahoma Governor Mary Fallin said it was a "tragic" day and "hearts are broken" for parents looking for their children.The damage wrought by the tornado was "unlike anything that I've ever seen before," said Rick Smith of the National Weather Service

Governor Fallin added that President Barack Obama called to offer assistance and asked her to contact him directly if she needed additional help.

Emergency crews were searching into the night for survivors in the ruins of homes that had been levelled to their foundations.

More than 200 Oklahoma National Guardsmen as well as out-of-state personnel have been called in to assist the search and rescue effort.

"Our neighbourhood is covered in debris," said witness Melissa Newton.

"There's shingles and pieces of sheet rock and wood in our yard and all across our neighbourhood. Some homes are completely gone. It's devastating."

And James Rushing said the Plaza Towers Elementary School, where his foster son Aiden was a pupil, was destroyed by the storm.

"About two minutes after I got there, the school started coming apart," he told the Associated Press.

Hospitals in the area said as many as 120 people were injured, including about 70 children, the Associated Press news agency reported.The National Weather Service (NWS) said Monday's tornado generated winds of up to 200mph (321km/h).

"It's certainly the most powerful tornado that I've ever dealt with in my 20 years with the weather service," NWS meteorologist Rick Smith in Norman, Oklahoma, told the BBC.

The town of Moore was hit by a severe tornado in May 1999, which had the highest winds ever recorded on Earth.

But Betsy Randolph of the Oklahoma Highway Patrol told local news station Skynews 9 that the damage on Monday appeared to exceed that of the last devastating tornado.

Tornadoes, hail and high winds also hit Iowa and Kansas, part of a storm system stretching from Texas to Minnesota.

On Sunday, a tornado smashed a trailer park on Highway 102 near Shawnee, Oklahoma. Oklahoma's state medical examiner confirmed on Monday that two people had been killed in the area.

This Global Warming Extreme Weather gone MAD. Oklahoma is considered smack in the middle of TORNADO ALLEY, but with Global warming this weather phenomenon is going to reach much Deadlier Proportions.

And this is just the beginning of the summer TORNADO SEASON.

Good I hope it does.

This is what they deserve for killing innocent women and children. "Drone attacks here", allow the "Israhellis to build illegal settlements" list is endless.

"Nature" is taking its cause - where is the world's "best" defence system now eh?! :D

And the contradictory news:

BBC reports winds of upto 200mph

ABC news reports of winds upto 324mph the "fastest wind on earth ever" as they said - always want to hold records even if it means dying, LOL!

Its very sad when people are reduced to counting on natural disasters to do something they have not the ability to do.

Anyway Bangladesh, Iran, Japan are more prone to natural disasters. No country is immune, you should know after the floods.

Good I hope it does.

This is what they deserve for killing innocent women and children. "Drone attacks here", allow the "Israhellis to build illegal settlements" list is endless.

"Nature" is taking its cause - where is the world's "best" defence system now eh?! :D

ABC news reports of winds upto 324mph the "fastest wind on earth ever" as they said - always want to hold records even if it means dying, LOL!

My friend, we don't take pleasure in any human's plight whether ours or their's.....

The power of nature. People are like ants.

article-2328000-19E74534000005DC-972_964x562.jpg

article-2328000-19E724A4000005DC-940_964x718.jpg

article-2328000-19E7113B000005DC-659_964x640.jpg

article-2328000-19E6A646000005DC-776_964x720.jpg

article-2328000-19E6BACA000005DC-444_964x636.jpg

article-2328000-19E72519000005DC-535_964x732.jpg

article-2328000-19E74500000005DC-184_964x1447.jpg

Good I hope it does.

Sad we still have people like you...
I know most if them don't give a toss about our sufferings but lets not forget that other peoles wrong doings can't be taken as an excuse to stoop that low.

We do feel sorry for the poor souls who died or lost property in this disaster...
Hope fatalities remain low and peoples homes are rebuilt by their government.

update: total dead rise upto 91 .

The sad part is many of them are children.
Being a dad myself i can imagine the pain if their parents.

Good I hope it does.

"Bala" is a slang word, where i live it means the excrement from the nose. Must hold true in Britain as well.
Here's hoping you get added on some anti terror watch list that will make your life more miserable then it already is.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Anyhow RIP....

Good I hope it does.

POST REPORTED.:ashamed:

RIP....

I'm sure after this they'll require all schools in the area to have underground shelters.

What an awful awful tragedy.

RIP

Why do most building looks like wooden structures ? Would concrete houses really be damaged to such an extent ?

Back
Top Bottom