What's new

5.8-magnitude earthquake felt in Nashua, Boston area

shining eyes

Reaction score
A 5.8 magnitude earthquake shook the east coast just before 2 p.m., according to the United States Geological Survey.

The quake was felt by many in the Nashua, Boston and New York City area, according to posts on Facebook. There are reports on Facebook of the quake being felt as far north as Lake Sunapee and as far west as Keene.

The quake struck at 1:51 p.m., according to the USGS. The epicenter is thought to be in central Virginia, between Richmond and Washington, D.C.

Nashua police Sgt. Kerry Baxter said a number of people have called police to report the shaking.

“We’ve just had calls that residents have felt it but we haven’t had reports of any damage or anything,” Baxter said.

For more information, visit: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/

– MICHAEL BRINDLEY

I am in Washington DC.....i just happened to take the day off from the office and was at home in my room.

the entire house shook. A few things fell off my shelf. I have a pet rabbit, this guy was going absolutely nuts. I think he could detect it before I did.

for about 30 seconds, it started soft then got very violent then got soft again. Felt exactly like how you feel when you are in an aircraft and there is a heavy turbulence.

now there are rumors that the Washington monument has tilted slightly after this quake. Authorities acted fast and took 2 nuclear reactors offline as safety precaution.

Looks like the world center of war cannot withstand Allah's punishment..this is justice served...god style..you asked for it!
D.C. earthquake forces White House evacuation
The State Column | Staff | Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A rare East Coast earthquake forced evacuations of the White House and the Pentagon on Tuesday, forcing thousands to flood the streets of downtown Washington and various cities in Virginia.

Alarms sounded in the FBI and Department of Justice buildings, and some flooding was reported on an upper floor of the Pentagon as a result of the quake.

Read more: D.C. earthquake forces White House evacuation | The State Column

i think this may have been DC area's first-ever earthquake....

5.9-6.0 magnitude -- not very strong. But it felt strong for those 25-30 seconds. The epicenter is not too far away.

I definitely felt it. Had the day off and was surprised to see my computer desk shaking, thought I was going crazy for a few seconds.

I am in Washington DC.....i just happened to take the day off from the office and was at home in my room.

the entire house shook. A few things fell off my shelf. I have a pet rabbit, this guy was going absolutely nuts. I think he could detect it before I did.

for about 30 seconds, it started soft then got very violent then got soft again. Felt exactly like how you feel when you are in an aircraft and there is a heavy turbulence.

now there are rumors that the Washington monument has tilted slightly after this quake. Authorities acted fast and took 2 nuclear reactors offline as safety precaution.

I know what your rabbit would have been like my cats go beserk in any serious quake and some times i do wonder if they actually started running before i felt it.

More importantly is the washington monument leaning to the right or the left and has anyone clamied its a sign for the election.

From the reports im hearing no one was hurt so good news on that front.

Looks like the world center of war cannot withstand Allah's punishment..this is justice served...god style..you asked for it!

Rofl.....no offence but if you believe Allah did it, it was a pretty lame attempt. All that was damaged was a couple of towers off a 100 year old church down street from my office.

Guess Allah doesn't like Christian churches too....:lol:

Epicenter was somewhere in Virginia. No real damage. Living in California, you get used to minor tremors. It was something new for East coast.

I hope Truthseeker's fine. Just heard from people on IM that in DC the ground felt like it was bouncing.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 AM ----------

Yeah pretty much getting the same reaction from people in DC. Any report of casualties? Never heard of an EQ epicenter in that part of the US.

I know what your rabbit would have been like my cats go beserk in any serious quake and some times i do wonder if they actually started running before i felt it.

More importantly is the washington monument leaning to the right or the left and has anyone clamied its a sign for the election.

ya, i was in my room working on something and suddenly this guy starts moving in circles and running around in his cage......so i was looking at him weirdly...then suddenly the entire house was shaking....started off soft, then got very intense 25 seconds into it....it literally felt like an aircraft during turbulence

in the storage room in the basement, all the suitcases and other stuff has fallen on the ground and made a mess..

the washington National Cathedral, unfortunately has been slightly damaged.....some officials also spoke about the Washington monument having become slightly tilted; all office buildings have been evacuated. Everyone in DC has the day off as they are anyalyzing the structures

I'm working on a 15 page paper for my financial management class; i wonder if students will complain of 'emotional trauma' and get an extension on it (wishful thinking) :D:D

as long as my car is okay --which it is thank God --that's all i care about. I left it outside and not in the garage :D

i wonder if the die hard right-wingers will accuse earthquakes of being radical Muslims!

:woot:

I also felt this earthquake as I live not far fr Washigton DC. It was a spectacular feeling! I was in my room at the time, off from work today. At 1:51pm~1:53pm the earthquake trembled the east coast especially the Mid-Atlantic Region.

Truly amazing experience. Throughout the nearby cities offices and buildings evacuate their employees...

Why the hell does my dog never react ?

I have to kick him to wake him up from sleep during an earthquake before running outside.He continues sleeping happily .

---------- Post added at 03:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 AM ----------

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom