Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
32% of Pakistanis say niqab most appropriate dress for women: survey
By Zehra Nabi
Published: January 9, 2014
656864-reutersniqab-1389263116-114-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: REUTERS

University of Michigan Population Studies Center recently published a survey in which it asked respondents from Muslim countries to choose the most appropriate apparel for women.

The survey, which was conducted between 2011 and 2013, covered seven countries: Tunisia, Pakistani, Egypt, Iraq, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and Turkey.

The section devoted to gender issues included a question on how women should dress in public. Respondents were shown six head shots which showed women wearing a shuttlecock burka, a niqab, different forms of headscarves and one without any head covering.

Of the 3,523 Pakistanis surveyed in the report, 32% favoured a niqab (photo 2). The abaya (photo 3) was the second most popular category with 31% of people voting for it. In comparison, only 3% of respondents voted for the shuttlecock burka and only 2% for the woman shown without a veil or scarf. 51% of the Pakistani respondents were male.

For most countries, the fourth image, which shows a woman wearing a headscarf, was deemed to be the most appropriate but in Lebanon the majority of respondents – nearly 50% – voted for the sixth image which shows a woman without any veil or scarf.

Dress as they please

When asked whether women should be allowed to dress as they please, nearly half the respondents from Tunisia, Lebanon and Turkey – if not more – voted in favour. However only 22% of Pakistanis said women should be able to dress as they wish, followed by Egypt at 14%.

Gender issues

The survey also asked respondents if women should always be expected to obey their husbands. 38% of Lebanese respondents disagreed with the statement whereas only 8% of Pakistani voted against it.

Also, when asked about the importance of love as basis for marriage, only 7% of Pakistanis said it was important.

In most of the surveys on women and gender, Pakistani respondents voted conservatively but when asked whether men make better political leaders than women, 29% of Pakistanis disagreed. In comparison, only 17% of Egyptians, 21% of Saudis and 28% of Iraqis disagreed that men make better political leaders than women.

what about rest of 68% why no body pay attention to their feeling...OP only want to state facts in a manner in which the male majority in muslim world want to listen...:hitwall:

So why do we see in Pakistan the vast majority of women dressed as pictures 4, 5 and 6?

I have to say I find the highest vote for picture 2 very worrying.....Something that has never been traditional in Pakistan, is not required at all in Islam and something that is associated with more the more radical Salafi followers is cause for worry.

Disgusting barbaric way of dressing.

It is a curse on us all.

Pakistanis never thought like this, we have our own way of dressing. Our women are dignified, they don't need to be covered in a sheet to ensure this.

Disgusting barbaric way of dressing.

It is a curse on us all.

Pakistanis never thought like this, we have our own way of dressing. Our women are dignified, they don't need to be covered in a sheet to ensure this.
Totally agree with this ... Nothing is more sexier than Salwar kameez/ Saari. Moreover it's the way a girl carry herself that is sexy not what she wears.

Totally agree with this ... Nothing is more sexier than Salwar kameez/ Saari. Moreover it's the way a girl carry herself that is sexy not what she wears.

sexier than skirt too? :blink:

Young ones need not tell themselves that this or that 'has never been our tradition'. How could they know? How would they substantiate such a claim? Have they been around long enough to make such a statement? Could such an observation be more a function of own limited experience & exposure than a reflection of reality?

It is important to note that half the respondents are women. So, if you can not quite come to grips with reported data, your denying it would not make it disappear.

There is nothing worrying about the survey, this is the way our country is, and if someone has a problem with it, then it is only their problem. People are free to choose.

During my school days till beginning of 90's, I had an idea that all Pakistani ladies use Burkha. After I was exposed to internet, came to know how wrong my idea was . Thanks to internet , we are now much more knowledgeable on each other than anytime before.

Number 4 and 5 seem to be the perfect point, completely personal opinion here.

51% of the Pakistani respondents were male.

It would have been a more accurate survey if the respondents were the ones most likely to don on the niqab i.e. women.

So why do we see in Pakistan the vast majority of women dressed as pictures 4, 5 and 6?

I have to say I find the highest vote for picture 2 very worrying.....Something that has never been traditional in Pakistan, is not required at all in Islam and something that is associated with more the more radical Salafi followers is cause for worry.
Mate if you see pciture 3 is 31% and 4 is 30% and combine is 61% compare to 32% of picture 2,so you see that 62% of Pakistan is like 3 or 4.

Back
Top Bottom