What's new

20 top taxpayers given tax cards

Hammer-fist

Reaction score
20 top taxpayers given tax cards

More taxpayers will be awarded: Muhith
Published : Tuesday, 01 January 2013

FE Report
Finance Minister AMA Muhith Monday said the government will increase the number of tax cards to honour more top taxpayers sector-wise including service and manufacturing sectors.
He said the National Board of Revenue (NBR) is working to reduce hassle and encourage the taxpayers to pay tax by giving such awards.
The Finance Minister made these comments at a programme arranged at city's Officers Club to handover tax cards to 20 top taxpayers.
The government for the first time handed over the tax cards to 10 corporate and 10 individual taxpayers for their contribution to the national exchequer in 2009-10 fiscal.
NBR chairman Ghulam Hussain said the NBR will amend the tax card policy 2010 to make it epoch-making.
He said there will be a specific category and ceiling to offer tax card to the taxpayers.
"Taxpayers of service sector and manufacturing sector will be catagorised separately for tax card," he added.
He said the NBR will update the backlog of last two years by giving tax card for 2011 and 2012 by June, 2013 next.
Federation of Bangladesh Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FBCCI) President Kazi Akram Uddin Ahmed appreciated the NBR's initiative to encourage taxpayers.
NBR member Quader Sarker, head of the income tax administration, said tax card holders will be invited to the state programmes, get priority in the transport and their family members will also get priority in medical services.
Top ten corporate taxpayers are-- US-based Chevron Bangladesh (Block-12) , Citibank NA, the Trust Bank Ltd and Jamuna Bank, Sylhet Gas Field Limited, American Life Insurance Company Ltd (ALICO), Security Printing Corporation Bangladesh Ltd, Bangladesh Export Processing Zones Authority (BEPZA), AK Khan and Co. Ltd and Bangladesh Petroleum Exploration & Production Company Limited (BAPEX).
The individual taxpayers are-- Motazzeroul Islam, Iqbal Haider Chowdhury, Haji Kaus Mia, MM Amzad Hossain, Md Yousuf, MA Haider Hossain, Md Motaher Hossain, Salauddin Kashem Khan, AM Ziauddin Khan and Ms Laila Hossain.
The California-based company Chevron paid Tk 1.38 billion in tax in the 2010 fiscal year against its net assessed income of Tk 3.58 billion.
In the individual category, Motazzaroul Islam, a taxpayer from Rangpur, paid Tk 40 million in tax in FY 2009-10.
Motazzeroul Islam said it's an honour for taxpayers to get the recognition from the government.
"I am surprised to get selected for tax card as I have paid only Tk 40 million tax. I think I would be in the last end of the list of tax card holders if well-off people pay due tax according to the income," he said.
Ismail Hossain Chowdhury, director of Chevron block 12, Ltd received tax card on behalf of his company. Petrobangla Chairman Hussain Monsur received tax card on behalf of Sylhet Gas Field Ltd. K Rashed Maksud, city country officer of Citibank NA, received tax card on behalf of the bank.

Financial Express :: Financial Newspaper of Bangladesh

Back
Top Bottom