What's new

1962 would have been different had IAF been in the offence: ACM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MINK

Reaction score
Country
India
The outcome of the 1962 war with China would have been different had the Air Force been used in an offensive role, Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne said here today on the conflict in which India suffered a humiliating defeat.

He said the Kargil conflict of 1999 would have dragged for another three months had the IAF not been used.

"Yes, no doubts about that. If air power was used at that time, the outcome would have been totally different," he said when asked if the result of the 1962 war would have been different had air power been used.

The IAF chief was addressing the annual Air Force Day press conference.

The issue of IAF not being used in the 1962 war is still debated by military historians and experts and there is no clarity as to why the air force was not used in that war.

Browne said IAF was not allowed to be used in an offensive role and confined only to provide transport support to the Army and said "these are open and glaring lessons we should have imbibed".

"But this time, I can assure you there will be no such limitation. The IAF will play a leading role in not just against that or any other sector but anywhere," the IAF chief said.

He said a seminar will be held on October 26 to discuss if the result of the 1962 war would have been different had the IAF been used and "we are convinced that that it would have been different."

Taking credit for ending the Kargil war, Browne said, "If IAF had not got into the war at right point of time offensively, the Kargil conflict would have continued for another three months at those impossible heights for our young jawans and officers to be climbing up and losing lives.

"It is air power, which concluded that war."

1962 would have been different had IAF been in the offence: ACM - The Economic Times

How Indian airforce compare to UN airforce in Korea?? the war might extend few months or so...we had experience in korea to face UN airforce, such AA gun and AA cannon sure will welcome your airplanes...if the war dragged on...China will sure bring the fighters to Tibet.

"But this time, I can assure you there will be no such limitation. The IAF will play a leading role in not just against that or any other sector but anywhere," the IAF chief said.

As for about quote above :rofl:, that statement is just our PLAAF looking for: no limitation, no restriction and anywhere in India.:cheers:

How Indian airforce compare to UN airforce in Korea?? the war might extend few months or so...we had experience in korea to face UN airforce such AA gun and AA cannon sure will welcome your airplanes...if the war dragged on...China will sure bring the fighters to Tibet.

But you do realise that your ground troops wouldn't have captured Aksai Chin as swiftly as they did if IAF was involved right? Since the fight was on our side of the border, it would have been fairly easy to use the planes, while PLAAF would have found it difficult to cross the Himalayas to attack us.

EzioAltaïr;3474842 said:
But you do realise that your ground troops wouldn't have captured Aksai Chin as swiftly as they did if IAF was involved right? Since the fight was on our side of the border, it would have been fairly easy to use the planes, while PLAAF would have found it difficult to cross the Himalayas to attack us.

Indeed, your airforce will not doubt contribue a firing power to your troops with the bombarment, but IAF will certain not overun our army without facing the AA defence. As I said before, war might extend few months if your IAF involved, China will certain dispatch more reinforcement to answer Indian airfroce..

Why shouldn't we be more realistic ? how about change the title to: 1962 would have been different had Atomic bomb been in the offence:LOL

It would be different in 1962 if PLAAF had been in the defense .

So the author sinuously admit it is a Offence launched by India side.

I don't think IAF back then is sharp as USAAF in the Korean war. I think what the author really means is, with the power of IAF nowadays, India could easily tear PLA apart.

早知今日,何必当初. :lol:

Why shouldn't we be more realistic ? how about change the title to: 1962 would have been different had Atomic bomb been in the offence:LOL
We choose not to use it cause it will kill indian innocent civilians. What we did then is to teach Nehru a lesson for his forward policy.

早知今日,何必当初. :lol:
If this kind of ideology is very popular in India, I wonder India will take chance again like 1962. Very dangerous!

If this kind of ideology is very popular in India, I wonder India will take chance again like 1962. Very dangerous!

They have learnt their lesson already, albeit the hard way.
Nowadays it's just their media that's doing all the trash talking. Both it's government and ours knows where they stand.
Hence war and skirmishes are now reduced to chimps chest thumping.

The side that has the aerial advantage is the one on the defensive. The attacker has the humongous task of crossing the tallest mountain rage, while the defender has a much easier task.

thats true we did learn our lesson. from a pacifist country in 1962, we became a military powerhouse just 9 years later

EzioAltaïr;3474929 said:
The side that has the aerial advantage is the one on the defensive. The attacker has the humongous task of crossing the tallest mountain rage, while the defender has a much easier task.

You seem to rebut yourself, take it easy.

thats true we did learn our lesson. from a pacifist country in 1962, we became a military powerhouse just 9 years later

I bet India will lose again, No Offence.

There is nothing wrong with that. China too, have become stronger.
The only difference is one is still looking back with regret whilst the other moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom