What's new

1,000 feared dead in Turkey earthquake

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India
1,000 feared dead in Turkey earthquake - The Times of India

ANKARA: An earthquake of 7.3 magnitude rocked eastern Turkey on Sunday, with a seimological institute estimating up to 1,000 people could lie dead under the rubble of dozens of collapsed buildings.

The powerful quake, the strongest to hit the country in years, and its aftershocks struck Van, a large eastern city populated mainly by Kurds.

"500 to 1,000 people are estimated to have been killed in the quake," Professor Mustafa Erdik, director of the Kandilli seismological institute in Istanbul, told a news conference.

Earlier reports did not speak of casualties but many were feared trapped under the rubble of collapsed buildings and officials warned they were struggling to assess the extent of the damage.

At least 50 people were taken to hospital in Van, Anatolia news agency said.

"There is serious human and material loss," said a brief statement from the the national disaster body which is based in the prime minister's office.

"Many multi-floor buildings, hotels and a dormitory were collapsed," said Veysel Keser, a local official from Van.

"We can hear voices from the collapsed buildings," he said.

Television footage showed collapsed buildings and vehicles, with residents rushing in panic in the streets.

"People are panicked. The telecommunication services have collapsed. We cannot reach anybody," Van Mayor Bekir Kaya told the NTV television in an initial assessment.

The government is due to send satellite phones to the region, according to media reports. The army will also send search and rescue teams to the area.

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

RIP.........................

Everything is coming one after another. But we all need to be strong as a nation to get through this.

Earth is going through lot of turbulations this year i think this is the 4th quake of the year.

May Allah help our brothers and sisters in their time of need, we as Pakistanis must help them in any way possible.

Inalilahey wa inailehey rajeonn... may God rest their souls n give patience n strenght to their loved ones... n injured may heal fast ameen.

Pak should help our turk brothers n sisters!!

I saw the horror on the news.I feel very sorry for our Turkish brothers for having to go through this.May Allah give the strength to go through this as a nation.

Allah rahmet eylesin

According to the latest news from 40 Turkish cities around 500 search and rescue teams are on the way.

I am disappointed that Pakistani establishments hasn't released a statement of condolence.

Back
Top Bottom